1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with lights - Western Standard Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by johnstra, Sep 25, 2003.

1. johnstra

johnstra Junior Member

I can't get my plow lights to work. I suspect my headlamp relay isn't shunting ground to my plow lights.

I'm guessing my problem is related to my motor relay, which is supposed to pull the headlamp relay. I have an extra terminal on my motor relay harness that isn't mentioned in the installation manual... its on the blk/org wire. I thought it was probably a ground, but whether I ground it or leave it hanging I get the same result.. the truck lights switch off when I plug in the plow but the plow headlights don't work.

Anyone suggestions are appreciated?

Thanks.

2. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

John, The wire is a ground for the truck side of the harness. If the truck lights are switching off when you connect the plow the relays are working. First thing to check is wire locations
    Bottom to top on the center of one relay is

green, red, white. The other is Yellow, Orange, Black

Jerre

If they are correct goto the plow and check the bulbs and the ground at the bulbs and work your way back

3. johnstra

johnstra Junior Member

Thanks John. My color scheme is different, but it matches the specs...
    curb-side: dkbl, dkbl/w,dkbl/o
    hi-beam: grn,red,no wire
    drvr-side: ltbl, ltbl/w, ltbl/o

I'll try working back on the plow side.

4. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

John, Should only be 2 relays unless your working on a dodge or a newer cheve.
    The Light blue and Dark blue wired harnesses were for these. The relay for the High beam should have a white wire on the other post. This and the black wire come out of the control harness to hook into the light harness.

Jerre

5. johnstra

johnstra Junior Member

I should have said up front this is for a 92 Toyota 4x4. I think the harness is 61555.

6. johnstra

johnstra Junior Member

solved

No wonder it doesn't work. I have a 9-pin plow harness and I need a 12-pin.
    -john

7. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Well it seems as if you figured out the problems on your own... lol

Going back to my harness problems.
    They tried selling me a 9pin...
    Do you have the MVP by any chance?

Also, when you get the new harness check out the wire colors carefully. Apparently the Uni-mount & Ultra-mount repair harnesses are different. The Brown/yellow I believe it was (the one with the 3 connectors to the solenoids) were wrong & it took me forever to figure it out, until I found the schematics on Fishers web site. Wasn't about to pay Western for the same maunal... Last time I checked Western put up the manual/diagram's for free on their site.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2003