1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with Jeep - kinda long

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by westbrooklawn, Sep 29, 2003.

1. westbrooklawn

westbrooklawn Member

Have gone the search route, learned a lot, but haven't found definite answers to all my questions, so I hope those who know will take the time to reply.

I am looking for a used jeep to set up with a plow for primarily residential drives and small lots (convenience store, fast food, etc.). It has gotten to the point where we have one or two snow events in my area, and there simply aren't many folks who plow. I see it as a good addition to my landscape business.

I have already decided I want to go with jeep for size and manuverability. CJ, Wrangler, or Cherokee. My questions:

1. Are any particular year models better suited for plowing (for example I notice the newer Wranglers have coil springs instead of leaf)

2. Is a 4 cylinder sufficient, or is the inline 6 a must.

3. Which transmissions are best

4. Are there different transfer cases and axles, and if so, which are the ones I should look for.

5. I'm looking to spend under $5k for the jeep. What would best fit the bill for that price.

6. What could I expect to spend for a good used plow setup.....or do I need to go new, and if so, how much should I expect to spend.

I know that's a lot of questions, but I really do appreciate any assistance you can give.

2. westbrooklawn

westbrooklawn Member

3. windmill

windmill Senior Member

I can't help you but I'm sure someone on the site will, sometimes you have to wait a while, I've noticed that it hasn't been busy lately, probably lots of work out there and that's good. Hang in there.:)

4. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

I run a 1996 Cherokee with a Western.

To answer your questions in my opinion:

1.) the newer Cherokees were all UNI-Bodies so many people shy awya from them. Mine plows fine but some guys are detered by the UNI body. The Cherokee and Wrangler are both great plow trucks.

2.) GO 4.0 inline 6 the power is great for plowing. Im sure some use the 4 cyl but i feel the 6 is what you need.

3.) AUTOMATIC AUTOMATIC AUTOMATIC (dont need to be playing with extra levers)

5.) start searching in the bargain news and truck traders

6.) there are alot of plow setups out there for sale right now since its preseason. Shop around. My new setup cost me approximately 2600 bucks about 5 years ago.

Hope this helps.

Jay

5. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Theres a lot of used jeeps with plows around here for under $3000.

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

1- Older CJ

2 - Inline 6 preffered,4 cyl will do but you will need low range a lot.

3 - Auto,no clutching\shifting and added torque multiplication helps pushing snow.

4 - any axles will do,but the bigger diffs 30 front will carry weight better.You want a part time t-case.lets you run unlocked for better turning,less wear,and still have 4WD.Lock the case for max traction.

5 - probably an older model

6 - Snoway.Lightweight,and has downpressure.A lot of the smaller plows don't scrape well as they aren't heavy enough.Snoway will backdrag and scrape better.

7. westbrooklawn

westbrooklawn Member

Thanks to all for the replies. Wyldman - I didn't understand your referance to the "...bigger diffs 30 front....". What does the 30 represent? Also I am confused about the "part time t-case". Don't all wranglers and cherokees have a standard transfer case?

Sorry if I seem stupid about these things, but my only plowing experience was over 35 years ago in upstate NY with a 1959 CJ5 and Meyers plow, manual angle!

Thanks for the information.....and the patience with all my questions.......

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

Sorry about the confusion,I was trying to type a reply with two little ones hanging off me. :D

You want the biggest front axle you can get,which I think was a Dana 30.They may have had Dana 44's in the older Jeeps,but I'm not sure.Maybe there is Jeep expert here who could add to this.

I also meant to recommend a transfer case like the NP242.I think they call it Quadra trac.It has 2 4WD positions.One is for part time use only,where the front and rear driveshafts are locked together,and another for full time use,where the transfer case acts as a center differential.Plowing in full time is better,as you get less hop and bucking (worse with short wheelbase vehicles like a Jeep) when turning,and it's easier on the truck.If you need the traction,you can lock it in part time and away you go.

9. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I'm not knocking Jeep here, they are fine rigs, but a few things to consider.

I run two S-10 Chevies, and they both carry 8 foot Sno-Way plows. They have proven themselve to be a lot of truck in a small package. They are both short bed, regular cab models and are the older body design, 88 & 91.

Drivetrains are very close to bulletproof. Keep in mind that our average snowfall is 80". so you can see where they would get a lot more run than if they were yours.

Chevy parts are a LOT cheaper than Jeep parts! Last I knew Jepp used a bunch of stuff that was proprietary so there is only one source.

Maneuverability is not quite as good as Jeep CJs but probably as good as a Cherokee, I think the wheelbases are pretty close to the same.

It should be possible to find a used S-10 in decent shape down your way.

Hope this helps.

10. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Well, I own two Jeeps(1999 & 2000) and two S10's(1994 & 1996). I would definately go with a Jeep to plow with over a S10. The motors on the S10's seem to labor alot even in small storms. The Jeeps just seem to handle plowing better, imo.

I will say that my 1994 S10 has never had a major problem, tranny or motor issues. I just have to replace the trans. cross member mounts every year, and its ready to plow.

If you are thinking of getting a Jeep. Look for a six cylinder, with auto. The key is to make sure you find one with a hard top!!!! If I had to choose a plow for it, I would purchase a new plow over used(Western or Snoway work well on this truck).

Chuck B.

11. westbrooklawn

westbrooklawn Member

Again, thanks to all for your input. Snoworks....what type jeeps are you using? You mention a 1999 and a 2000. You seem pleased with them......what body style and plow do you have? Thank you.

12. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

If your going to buy a Jeep - get the Wrangler, for sure. Less blind spots and shorter wheel base than the Cherokee!

1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport - w/6'-8" snoway & Daniels rear plow
    2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport - w/6'-6" Western & Daniels rear plow

Chuck B.

13. johngus

johngus Senior Member

make sure what ever you buy its fuel injected.The early CJ's were a real pain with the carb's.The 4.0 is a great engine and I think they had crysler 727 trannys behind some.Make sure the PCV system is clear on what you buy as I've seen lots of them clogged which calls oil leaks.

14. wyldman

wyldman Member

DC makes a bolt on FI kit for the older I6 motors.Real nice,all factory parts,and easy to install.

There is also an updated fixed orifice tube for the PCV problems.

15. LADDER286

LADDER286 Junior Member

JEEP CJ-7

My brother is a fool he currently has a 76 jeep quadratrack on ebay truck is incrediable at pushing snow un-stoppable i have a 92 cherokee my truck is awesome as well however i did not do proper planning and blem my tranny after plowing for 30 straight hours but it was an orig tranny with 138,000 miles for drives and local lots i would not consider anything but a jeep (i guess its a jeep thing) my brothers jeep ---> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2434559648&category=6280

16. westbrooklawn

westbrooklawn Member

Great Site!

Again, I want to thank everyone for all the good advice you have provided. Based on everyone's comments, as well as my past experience of 35 years ago with an old CJ5, I have narrowed my choices down to the Wrangler, probably in the '88 - '95 model years to meet my budget. There seem to be several around, and I have started my shopping. The main problem seems to be finding the Inline 6 and automatic transmission combination.

My next issue will be to find a good used plow. I am hoping I can find one in the $1000 range.

I will keep you all posted.....thanks!.......and.....keep any comments/suggestions coming.