1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with installing nighthawk lights

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by A.R.C.SR, Nov 6, 2011.

1. A.R.C.SR

A.R.C.SR Junior Member
    from IL

I just purchased nighthawk lights for my old ultra mount plow and i don't have a 3 wire system and now what can i do? Can i just cut the wire harness inside the new lights and do the same in the old lights and solder the old wire to the new head lights? I don't know what to can any one help. Thanks
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The nighthawks will work fine, it's just a pain to rewire them. If you can, pull the wires out of the old lights and then cut the new nighthawk wires and splice them into the original harness. You have a two cable system where there is one plug for switched motor power from the big relay and a second plug that combines all the lights and the control wires for the valve body. If you have the old wiring you probably have a uni-mount with one mounting hole for the old style lights. You will have to make an adapter for the two bolts on the nighthawks. What I have used for this in the past is the Ford headlight adapters. Their orignal purpose of these adapters is to move the nighthawks forward to make room for the grills that go up with the hood on the new ultra-mount plows. If you know a Western dealer nearby they probably have some kicking around. At my shop we have scads of them cus they come with the Ford truck mount kits but are only needed half the time.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011