1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help with install

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by simoncx, Dec 24, 2008.

1. simoncx

simoncx Senior Member

I looking to install a whelen led becon either l21 or l32 on the cab protector on a dump insert. This will be my first install myself and looking for any helpful tips. Not sure which switch I need, I know I'm going to need extra wire to run it into the cab but is there anything more I need to install a single beacon. I don't want to go overboard, I just want a simple becon.

2. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

well what kind of truck are you mounting this too ? what type of light is it ??

3. simoncx

simoncx Senior Member

It's going on a 05 f-350 and it's a single led becon. I want to mount it to the top of the cab protector and run the wires to the cab though the holes that the controler to the insert is going into the cab then mount a simple switch somewhere on the bottom of the dash.

4. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

well if you going with led then 18 gauge automotive wire is plenty .... second ... take real thin tie down string .. and measure the distance from the top of the cab proctor to the back of the hinged part of the dump then around the bed or under the bed to the cab .. then how ever much string you use then you need that much wire ... just a simple metal toggle from autozone should do .. DONT BUY THE CHEAP PLASTIC ROCKER switches ..... there cheap and will melt ..... take some pics and i will tell you where to run the wires !!

5. NickGB

NickGB Senior Member

Let's see a picture of the truck so we can see if you'll need to elevate the light so it can be seen from the front of the truck.

6. simoncx

simoncx Senior Member

The light will be high enough because the cab protector is 3-4 inches higher then the truck cab. Now I just have to pick which becon I want.

7. NickGB

NickGB Senior Member

A shot of your truck would still be helpful.

I like the looks of the L32 a lot better than the L21, much more low-profile, but it's entirely up to you.