1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with info on these strobes ???

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by FisherVMan, Jan 2, 2011.

1. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

My wife surprised me at Christmas with a set of strobes for my F150............. I asked her about them in Oct and told her that S&M had them on here.............. She got them somewhere else [and I am sure the outfit that sells them probably never wants to hear from us again] as they were somewhat less money , I have no idea who actually made them or anything about them . They look fine at first glance but have not been able to find out much about them. The 120watt part seams high? and I question that that is really true but again just dont know. I have not been able to find them anywhere else; and am suspect they are some Chinese wanta be system. Here are some pictures of them to see if anyone recognizes them???

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] ????
    I have not installed them and any helpful hints or tricks certainly appreaciated and am wondering if I wanted to put two up in my topcab rear brake lens can a guy use the existing wires without pulling new ones somehow?????? Placement is also up for grabs as I have never mounted them before??? I have read alot of disapointment on here about getting them tooooooooo close to the lens and burning up the strobe tube??? Can someone shed light [pardon the pun] on normal distances to stand off the tubes so this isnt an issue???
    I ran nothing but Whelen Strobes on my airplanes in Alaska and tryed a couple of "porkrind" wantabees and they didnt work for us on the aircraft .
    I hope this isnt a replay of that ???:confused: Any help greatly appreaciated!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I have seen them on ebay before. I also no nothing about them. If I were to get a strobe kit for my truck I would get whelen.

3. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

look like chinese knock offs based on the power switch... i too have seen many on ebay, never did a double take cause they looked chinsey to me

perhaps do a temporary test before you install them all (plug in lights and power to the power supply) to see what they do. usually you only have to put power to one control wire to get them to fire, but it looks like the control wires go directly to that switch and (pattern select?) button.

i would at least test them before installing. thats alot of work (installing) to go through just to find out that they are junk or not what you expected. but who knows, they could be better than expected too!

one question... do you have to reselect your pattern every time you turn them on? thats usually a sign of the chinese ones.

4. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

They look very cheaply made to me.

6. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I would thank the wife for the thought, give a kiss and then put the entire system in the garage telling her they will be installed later.

Then I would put them back in the original box with all packing material and get a refund. Then I would make the wife watch that commercial about "not really the same" in a loop for 24 hours. :laughing:

The whole kit is under a $100.oo. I would not waste the install time just to take the chance. Once installed you can not return them. I also went with a cheaper set years ago. They did not even last the entire season let alone a year. The warranty on what I had was a whooping 30 days. Kicked myself for a while on wasting that money and time.

Explain to your wife that yes it is the thought that counts but quality can never be replaced and in cold weather conditions and extreme use of the truck you need reliability of a good set. Or you could sell them on the sly and get a real set that will last.

I know it is a no win situation because if they fail before spring she will say "You could have returned them". Then she will make you feel like an a$$ because she will claim she didn't know any better and start crying and claim you hate the gift she got you.

They are Chinese made and sold not to mention their name is associated with Bovine feed supplies when googled.

Chalk it up to thinking women will get exactly what you want when told what you want. I have been through it for over 33 years with my wife and put a stop to it finally when I started requesting gift cards or cash only as a gift after a bad ordeal over a socket set years ago. :rolleyes:

The saying "You get what you pay for" has never been truer when it comes to a good strobe kit. ussmileyflag

7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

OOO too funny!!

8. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I say try and return. Get a brand name set.

9. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

There is a thread on here some where about these strobes, someone said they get really hot. But for $100 they may last a yr. But for a $200 a whelen kit will probably last you a lifetime!

10. squeaky3

squeaky3 Senior Member

i got mine off ebay and they look exactly like that

as someone said they do get a lil warm but i havent had a problem with mine

just make sure when you put them in to use lots of silicone around them or they will leak

i can put up a vid of what mine look like in my truck if you would like

11. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

We all love videos and pics! I would like to see how bright they are!

12. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

I now know ALOT more than I did this morning as my 12 year old saw me type this post this am and he has been searching on here all day and has come up with a ton of info on them .
    Here is a link to them on Youtube pretty interesting ??
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b20J3XSK6ts&feature=recentf
    These are now being marketed by JC Whitney under the name Wolo and are $200 from them and they have had a different decal made up for the power supply but it is obviously the same unit.
    They are marketed by various others under the name of ECHO and seam to run more from $150-180 in that market and like everyone mentioned on ebay with no name for even less. [Seconds or rejects??? hence no name???]
    Thanks everyone for the help and I will let you know how we make out . I was really hoping someone would comment on HOW FAR away from the lens covers is a SAFE distance to make sure and NOT have heat problems???

13. squeaky3

squeaky3 Senior Member

heres the vid of mine in my truck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iugoXCBcRaU

i drilled a hole in the top of the housings on my lights as far off to the side and back as far as i could in my lights and they get the housing covers a lil warm but i have cheap housings too

14. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Impressive!

Thumbs Up Hey that looks good to me............... am I seeing an optical illusion or are they doing like a double or tripple flash each time the bulb flashes???
    I had tripple flash Whelens on my Cessna 185 we put on in the late 90s when they were the hot ticket and I cant remember the damage but I do remember it was over a grand :eek: back then!! Thanks alot for posting this as they look pretty darn good to me!
    I have a nice light bar but am nervous about backing out into the road here when we get high snowbanks and the logging trucks are sailing by at 60/70 mph I thought it would be nice as the rear lights start to appear out into the road, that they had stobes in them; before they would ever see the lightbar???? So I am thinking about 4 in the red area of the tailight lens; and probably two up front in the SIDE of the Amber parking light lens; but am not sure if that is my best protection or not?????:salute:
    Squeaky can you remember what size hole saws you needed to do this install??

15. squeaky3

squeaky3 Senior Member

my flash patter flashes 2 flashers per side and goes back and forth, but i have a bulb in each high beam light and one in each side parking light

i have led tail lights and didnt have room for the strobes in the rear lights, but i have leds under my tailgate the the whelen lightbar up top so i have plenty of warning

16. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

!!!!NICE!!!
    Gosh I sure hope I have room in my tail light covers as this whole exercise is going to be a flop if I dont!!!!!!!!

17. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

I think Reaper hit the nail on the head. They are very cheap chinese made strobes.

18. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Strobes and More , I am going to guess you are right about that.............
    And that brings to mind an old quote that is more true today than ever!

<<<The Bitterness of poor quality; remains long after the Sweetness of the low price, is forgoten !>>>

Thanks everyone for trying to help!

19. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

I prefer the old "buy cheap, get cheap"

20. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I am sure I will take alot of flack for this, but I have a set on all 3 of my plow trucks. I bought 1 set 2 seasons ago, just to try them out. I liked them enough to buy 2 more sets this summer and put them on the other 2 trucks. I understand they aren't Whelen, and are most likely made in China, but all 3 sets are going strong, and I haven't had any problems at all with them. If I lived in an area that had more snow than the 8 or so events we get each year, I might consider the Whelens, but since I don't I tried the cheap ones, and liked them enough to do up all the trucks in them. By the way I used a 1 inch hole saw, it was quick and easy.