1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help With Hourly Rate

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DESTEFANO3782, Nov 11, 2005.

1. DESTEFANO3782

DESTEFANO3782 Senior Member

I Have All Seasonal Contracts And I Currently Do An 2 Out Of The 3 Buildings In An Industrial Park At A Seasonal. The 3rd Property Approached Me And Said They Want Me To Plow It But At An Hourly Rate And Every Time I Enter And Leave The Property I Am To Log In And Out Of There Book. My Thought Is It Is About A 250.00 Push But Would Only Take About An Hour If, To Clear The Entire Lot. Now What Could I Give As An Rate For An 8 Footer And Still Make Money??? Please Any Help Would Be Great.
  2. little pat

little pat Member

I feel your dilema. I have run into similar situations and have tried to educate the customer as to why hourly is not the way to go. Eventually most come to understand the benifits of per push bids. The ones that don't come around are wished luck and I walk away.
  3. LDA

LDA Member

well if you are figuring per push at $250 and it will take you an hour, then simple math says $250/hour, but that is rather high from what i have heard or have seen from others here on plowsite. This is my first year plowing so im still new to all this...but thats my 2cents
  4. drmiller100

drmiller100 Senior Member
    from idaho

ask the customer what hourly rate they want to pay.

Then tell the customer that means you need to reschedule them so you can take you lunch, potty break, and figure out how to get the crappy truck with worn out blades in to do their job, and that you should be there about 8:15am, adn will wait patiently for folks coming to work to get out of the way.
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Well, to start with, I doubt that I'd agree to such BS. But, if you want to, that's your business. Quote what you think is reasonable. So if $250 for the lot that takes an hour is reasonable, quote $250/hr. If $250/hr is not reasonable, then you're too high on the $250 quote for an area that would take an hour. The next thing is to quote with authority, not tentatively nor asking "ok?" Remember, it's what THEY asked for. They get to call the shots, but only so far.Then, I'd make it clear as to what the is included with billable time. Such as waiting for cars to be moved or going in to fill out their logbook.
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe you could give them a per plow rate and tell them when you plow the other lots you do theirs at the same time. This way when you have a lite snow you can get in and out and still make some money.
  7. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

Destafano, the older i get the less i like people. So i would say I will plow your lot for $250. and not interested in giving hourly rate. Short but sweet.