1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help with headlights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by turfguy, Dec 22, 2002.

1. turfguy

turfguy Member

I have a new western ultramount on a 98 chevy 2500 with daytime running lights. several times in the last week I have lost my headlights. when I turn off my headlights my datime running lights come on and I can see enough to get home then all of a sudden its all back to normal. Tonight I hooked up the plow to move it and yep... no lights... flip the switch a coulple of times and all things back to normal. any thoughts or other problems from any body else.....
  2. Lazer Man

Lazer Man Senior Member
    from SW Pa.

You might want to check the headlight switch, we have a 94 that had lighting probs thats what it turned out to be.

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

check the headlight relays, my new western last year half way thru the season lost high beams...too make a long story short i replaced both relays for high and low beam lights.
  4. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

turfguy, Going to go with Monsterplow on this one for sure. The Cheve's are notorious for headlight switching problems from 1996 on. Western went to a multi relay setup ( upto 6 on this rig ) there is also a DLR switch box. If it was running for quite a while with no problem then you could have one of a couple problems.

DLR module bad, Diode wire bad--Some have 2, Relay for the headlights bad ( sometimes when de-energized they reset ), or headlight switch. Can also be a bad ground wire down to the plow unit. All of these can be trouble shot with a wire diagram for the year of your truck. When you pop the headlights out check your factory plugs on the passenger side. Email the colors of the wires on the lowbeam and highbeam plugs and give me a Fax# to send you a diagram to. You'll need a test light and some paitence if you're doing it yourself. It can take upto an hour sometimes.

If this is a new install definatly go to the dealer for the fix. Jerre
  5. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

my fords did the same thing i needed a multifunction switch and a light switch
  6. wyldman

wyldman Member

One quick note,remember to turn off your truck,and the headlamps when connecting your plow.We have found on our Dodges,that connecting the plow with the truck on or headlamps on,always blows the DRL module.This would probably only partain to canadian trucks with DRL,but it would hurt with the others,especially the ones with the relays that switch plow lamps to headlamps automatically when connected.

We have also lost a lot of headlamp switches on our trucks and ended up rewiring the headlamp relays on our westerns to use battery power instead of the headlight switch to power the headlamps\plowlamps.No problems since.
  7. turfguy

turfguy Member

all of these problems have appeared with the plow off and only the truck headlights. I am suspecting the western change over relays. seems like one might have a bad or intermitted wiper pole connection. need a warm garage, a testlight and a good print .
  8. wyldman

wyldman Member

A couple of quick checks......

Check the female spades on the relays,they come loose sometimes,they really should use a moulded plug.

Do,your highbeams work ? If so it's probably not the headlamp switch,most likely a low beam relay.

The high and low beam relays are the same so you can swap them to see if the problem is eliminated.
  9. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

I just had my truck in today for a headlight problem, the lights were extremely dim and were just totally screwed up! The person that put them on had waaayyy too many beers. Anyways I took it to my Western dealer who installed new lights and harnesses. Then he wired them wrong somehow? The left light worked great the right one was about as bright as a candle...then on highbeam it went darker? Oh well I had it there for other items, and they can just fix it again. Good thing it ain't snowing anytime this year.
  10. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Usually the dim headling thing is a poor ground
  11. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Yep, and for the money I paid they can get it right...I got a new lifting ram/seal, fluid change, this headlight work, and my mount bolts from the frame to the frame of the truck shattered on my first run this season. Something I forgot to check...wont next time.