1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with gravel lot

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by G scott, Feb 25, 2012.

1. G scott

G scott Junior Member

I am quoting a job for next year (2012) March 1 to Feb 28, 2013. As part of the total package for lawn and snow removal, there is a 1.4 acre basic square gravel truck lot that where the trucks back into loading docks. How would you figure the time for gravel lots and what equipment do I use? Do you pretreat gravel like pavement? I have a F350 diesel truck with 7.5 blade & wings, 80 HP 2 wd farm tractor with 72 inch loader bucket, rear 10 ft hyd controlled blade, and a 180 4 wd farm tractor with a 12 ft pusher. Also how do you caculate the salt for gravel and do you pretreat gravel . I bid by the push and have 3.2 acres of pavement to clear on this job, the job is 2.4 miles from the farm. I usually discount the snow part of my jobs if I get the total package, making my $$ on the lawn care services.

2. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

I'm not much help on the bidding end, but on gravel I would prefer what we call "stone dust" here, with just enough salt mixed in to keep it from freezing in the pile.

3. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

IMO, Its a waste of time putting salt or other treatments on gravel. Just plow it and the gravel will take care of itself. If needed, just sand or add lite amounts of gravel for traction.

J.

4. siteworkplus

siteworkplus Senior Member
    from mass

You should be fine with the pusher on gravel

The truck& blade may cause you problems early and late season before/after the frost(not sure how cold it gets in Shelbyville)

A good course sand for traction if you get some snow pack and maybe some type of ice melt product on hand just in case you get a snow to ice type of event

I would leave that as an extra as it may be an isolated event or two

Gravel areas vary quite a bit depending on how "live" the material is and how quickly it percs

The good thing is you don't have to sweep up the sand so you can lay it on heavy if its cost effective

5. siteworkplus

siteworkplus Senior Member
    from mass

P.S no pretreat on gravel

6. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Pretreating gravel will just waste material. Usually the only time to put traction aide down (ie sand or gravel) is after a rain storm where the night temps drop below freezing after its been plowed for snow. It will turn to ice and need sand. We only plow gravel over 3".

7. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Never use ice melt of any kind on gravel! All it does is pull the frost out and leave nothing but MUD. Then you can't plow, and trucks can't move. Plow, then pure sand for traction, if it's needed.

8. G scott

G scott Junior Member

Thanks for the info, it does not get very cold down here, sounds like a very thin line between keeping the lot clear and not causing issues by applying ice melt. I waked the lot and the trucks have it fairly compacted