1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with fuel economy

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Andy96XLT, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

Hello all,
    I just got a 1995 Ford F250 with the 351W and auto e40d trans. The truck has 95000 miles and well i know it is not going to sip gas, i would like to get a little better mileage than I am now. Just from driving it around town i calculated 6.8MPG with the truck empty:eek:. For me that is pretty rough and I really think it should be better. The truck has an MSD distributor, flowtech headers, and a K&N filter in the airbox from the previous owner.

Although the plugs and wires looked okay to me but I am going to pull them and put in new ones as part of a tune up and see if that helps, I am also going to seafoam the engine before I put in new plugs to try to clean it out a littl bit and hopefully that will help. Is there anything else I can/should do to try to get some mileage back?!

Thanks!

2. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

5.8W good luck, is that 6.8 around town or highway because you might get 10 mpg's on the highway.

3. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

haha, i was afraid of that, its around town. I was hoping I could do some things to at least get up around 8.... pipe dreams? ha

4. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah when I worked as a Ford Tech that was a big concern for Ford truck owners.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

wait till you start working the engine plowing...lol

6. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Andy that 6.8 mpg is gonna look good once you start plowing. I have a 96 F-250 with a Snoway V on the front, and a rear plow on the back. I think 4 mpg is about what I am going to get with it once it finally snows here.

7. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

Well good news... kinda.... my mileage is going to go up very soon... i was doing some work tonight and noticed I smelled gas... low and behold I look underneith and the front tank is leaking :( haha. the old owner replaced the back tank though so I am going to use that one for now and probably swap out the front one in the spring... Having all my gas might help my fuel economy :)

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I never got better the 10 mpg highway driving to work in Cleveland and back. A 60 mile round trip. But it was a 3 speed C-6 transmission no over drive. No weight on the truck. It was in total tune and everything lubed and straight. I just drove, no aggressive / angry / high speed driving.

9. ERWbuilders

ERWbuilders Senior Member

Do the torque converter lock mod...it has increased my city mileage by atleast 3 mpg actual calculated per 4 tank fills. its easy to do you can find it searching google #e4od torque converter mod# Once you get it done PM me i can learn ya the tips and secretes with it!