1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with Ford Ranger Edge front end.

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Pearcelawn, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

I need some help with a Ford Ranger Edge with the 4.0 6 cyl.

First I will tell you,I am not a truck mechanic.I have done the obligatory alternator,plugs, battery,brake pads and rotors, etc. I have been in the lawn business for ten years and can turn a wrench fine. I have to see if I can get this solved w/out going to a mechanic and paying the $1000 I was quoted for the job. Due to a parent I am caring for having a major medical problem recently,funds are very low. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

The problem:

I recently had the lower ball joints replace and had new tires put on. I have a Sno Way plow for it and I do some residentials and two SMALL( about 5 parking spots each) commercials with it. Now I find that the upper ball joint on the drivers side may be rattling a bit. I do not have the money to replace it right now. No snow has meant no pay.

Question:

Can I jack the truck up and tighten it down somehow to make it last a little bit longer?

If so, do I just tighten the to nuts on top and how far can I go without throwing off the alignment?

I have gotten some great info from this site from a great bunch of guys, I hope you can enlighten me on this and maybe I will be able to return the favor someday.

Happy New Year!!

2. b2driver

b2driver Member
    from MD

3. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

Thanks much!

4. Kosty

Kosty Member

hey those ball joints arent hard to replace. just need a good pry bar and some forks takes a few hours but thats it. Tighting it wont help any 90% of the time they are as tight as they can get. if u want i could help u do them, ive done a lot of them in my days.

5. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

I have to wait for a couple of weeks but would very much appreciate the help. Even if you could just guide me. I am always willing to learn.
    I turn a pretty good wrench,do all of my own repairs on the mowers and such.

Thanks Kosty. I appreciate it.

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You might make sure all the nuts are tight on the ball joints and have cotter pins in place. Look at the bottom one, make sure if it has the wire bale retainer is in place and the joint is in the opening square.
    The library should have repair manuals with pictures so you can make sure it's not a serious problem.

7. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

Nver evn thought to check the library. Good idea. I looked at the cotter pins and all are there. I just had the lowers done so I will look but I think they are o.k. Will let you know if I find something.

Thanks.

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The libraries manuals will have the check out procedure for the ball joints too. You should have almost no sloop in the ball joints. Make sure your springs are in the right place in the rubber at top and the retainer nut is tight.Could be a bad shock or loose mount too. I had a Bronco II, pretty much the same design a few updates to the parts.