1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with equipment for a lot

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DCS MN, Jun 9, 2009.

1. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

Just was hoping I could get some help from some of you guys that do larger lots.

My problem/blessing is I have been asked to plow a 6.5 acre shopping mall and it all has to be pushed to one end and hauled out. The longest run is 900 feet.
    I do some large lots but not with this circumstance of pushing all to one corner.
    I also have to do all the shoveling.
    I was thinking 2 shovelers
    2 bobcats
    2 trucks, one with salter.

They also want to pay by the hour. I don't like that but work is work.
    If you don't want to post in public please pm me, I need all the help I can get:eek:
  2. Knockah22

Knockah22 Senior Member

Although u didnt mention exactly home much side walk you have, I think you may want a couple more shovelers. And depending on how old your salter is you may want a back up, i.e tailgate, friend, or sub.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Are you going to sub out the snow removal? How about a quad for the walks?
  4. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

Most of the side walks are covered(leaf blower), and if there are heavy snows a bobcat can back drag them. The 6 small dumpster areas also have to be shoveled out.
    I do have a atv with a 5' plow though.
    Shovelers can be there all day too, they encourage that.
    What do you guys think about the main equipment?
  5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

You have plenty of equipment.

More than you need really.
  6. miltonplower

miltonplower Senior Member
    from ontario

you should be fine
  7. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

How bout a ball park hourly rate for a s300 2 speed with a 10' pusher and a s205 2 speed with a 8' pusher
    Then what about a plow truck with a salter that is obligated for that lot. They want me to leave all equipment on site.
    They also buy the salt, no mark up there.
    I would think there would be a montly fee for that or am I wrong???
    Or do you just charge more per hour per machine, person, truck???
    thanks for the help:salute:
  8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

In this salt market that is a good thing.
  9. Skid Mark

Skid Mark Member
    from ny

you have all the stuff you need
  10. ww11mac

ww11mac Junior Member

i do a parking lot and we have 4 shovelers, one cat 416 backhoe with a one way blade, a cat 420 backhoe with a snow bucket, one cat 297c tracked skidsteer with an Angle Blade and extra bucket to load the chevy 2500 with a fisher minute mount 9'' plow and a 5 yard sander, and one GMC 2500 work truck with a 9'' fisher plow and a old chevy fule truck. we have 2 parking lots to do and my boss also plows for the town in his 416 backhoe , depending on how much snow we get we will have more people to shovel and more plows on the way. we also have a tracked snowblower for the shovlers when the snow gets too deep to shovel by hand but watch out for entrance mats with the snowblower. we put down sand and rock salt in the parking lots that we keep in a dumpster with a cover on it and we put a combination of wizzard blizzard ice melt and road runner ice melt on the walkways to keep the snow drifts down. we also have to truck off all of the snow after every storm.
  11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I think your plenty good on equipment.....the skids alone would do it......the trucks could assist in the beginning by opening up lanes & windrowing away from the building/buildings, then come back later and salt.......back up salter would be wise 2.....price per ton for spreading, you/they will know how much salt gets purchased...therefore leaving no question about salt usage? like whats been said many times, all areas are gonna be different on pricing..... I charge the same rate for a skid whether it has a 10ft or 8ft pusher ..... My rate for the trucks is slightly less than the skids.......
  12. plowdog

plowdog Member
    from MN

That must be nice to have work come to you!! Congrats! A mall that size you may want to look at getting a loader with a pusher and or a tractor with a blower. A skid can't stack snow high enough, if you were to get back to back heavy snow that pile will get pretty big- fast. Equipment will break and you may not be able to haul the snow out for a couple of days, at least it will be out of the way for customers to park. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best- just be prepared!
    They came to you so your reputation is out there for doing good work- that is priceless!!
  13. nekos

nekos Senior Member

The company i work for does some thing similar. ( much bigger though )

2 wheel loaders and a cat take care of the lot. I'm not sure what the shovel crew uses but i assume a couple snow blowers and a few poor souls with shovels.
    The trucks will be mostly ineffective if you have to move snow to one specific area so i would use them else where.
  14. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

15. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Sounds to me they are setting all the rules

If this is a fit for you and your company go for it. If not, and it sounds like you are not real comfortable with it, keep looking for another job.

If you decide to do it, Yes they do owe you a nice monthly retainer for on-site equipment and no opportunity to make any money on salt. A pusher or two would be a great way to get this completed but they are probably not willing to pay what you should make for that type of equipment. Sounds like that is one of those jobs that gets cheaper every year to me.

I think I would pass on it. Sounds like they want to set all the rules and the price.
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  16. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

i think one big storm and your in a lot of trouble with no loader:dizzy:
  17. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Wow have you begun to think about the cost of hauling?