1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help with elec/hydr plow

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by tloconte, Jan 28, 2013.

1. tloconte

tloconte Junior Member
    from boston

I have an 8 ft Fisher elect/hydr used plow. Was working fine. Instaloer fed wire harness through fire wall near clutch and wires got cut. I spliced th wires back correctly matching colors. I went to use it and it only went to the right. Now does nothing except make electric noise. No plow movement. There are three plugs coming from the truck. Thanks

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well ck your fuses might have blown a plow fuse next ck for gnd at the coils and then ck for signal pwr at the coils when someone is using that function

3. bremery

bremery Junior Member

If the motor runs when you push the button/ joystick, its possible that the fluid is frozen because of moisture that has worked its way in. Its pretty common for people not to change their fluid. Take a hair dryer and hold on it on the tank for 15 minutes, then try the plow. If it works, then change your fluid and check to see if the internal filter is clogged up.

I just bought a new "used" plow and it froze up on me yesterday. I heated the tank with a heater and it worked after that.

4. tloconte

tloconte Junior Member
    from boston

Thanks. Ill try that tomorrow

5. tloconte

tloconte Junior Member
    from boston

Hey. Clearly you are the man. I still need your help though. Its about 50 degrees out so I hooked up.it worked perfectly. So like an idiot I drained and changed fluid only to get the bad result again. As I said this is my first year with elect/hyd plow. Sounds like you may be dead on with the filter issue. Problem is that I have no idea where it is or how to get to it. Or how to clean it. I'm good with my hands but there's way too many screws/bolts. I really don't want to play it by ear. Thanks

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  6. dieselss

Is the lift ram with the whole unit or is it seperate?? Look like a tank under the motor?

7. tloconte

tloconte Junior Member
    from boston

Yes. Tank looks connected to motor. Directly under

8. dieselss

Ok. Should be 4 5/16 head bolts. And an o-ring for a seal that stays on the pump housing. Drain...then remove the bolts. Wiggle giggle and off comes the tank. Ck fishers website if you get stumped

9. tloconte

tloconte Junior Member
    from boston

There are 2 on the top. About 6 in long. I did that. Nothing moved. Ill try it again. How do you clean the filter if I get to it. Thanks for helping

10. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

Dieselss is right! Remove the 4 5/16 head bolts & drop the res. You can usually get away with just cleaning the filter and not even need to replace it. Its a pretty strait foward job to do.

11. tloconte

tloconte Junior Member
    from boston

Thanks. How do I clean it. Solvent/air?

12. dieselss

Brake cleaner. Shop air.

13. tloconte

tloconte Junior Member
    from boston

Got that far. Filter w asn't really dirty. Cleaned it and res. Must be electrical. Maybe pump. Sucks for me. Thanks for helping

14. dieselss

Did you try and hotwire the plow motor

15. tloconte

tloconte Junior Member
    from boston

No. It does sound like its fine. Just doesn't move the plow.

16. dieselss

Ok. Then did you ck for gnd at the coils and then signal pwr when u use that function ?

17. tloconte

tloconte Junior Member
    from boston

No. Had no help with me. To move joystick. Maybe this will help. Both times it malfunctioned blade went right with any functiions

18. dieselss

Ok. Unhook the pos off the solenoid then rubber band the joystick and then test light

19. tloconte

tloconte Junior Member
    from boston

I have the fish stick

20. dieselss

Ok. Tape the button dwn then