1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with draining E47 pump

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by danmc, Jan 12, 2004.

1. danmc

danmc Member

We just got through a couple of days of sub zero weather here and my hydraulics have quit....I was able to lift/lower and angle both ways a couple of times then everything stopped. I have a mixture of old meyer's hydraulic fluid, about 4 oz of ATF and some rubbing alcohol in my pump right now. I want to drain everything out and start fresh, my question is: If I drain everything out except the angling rams, will I get enough of the junky fluid out to make a difference with the new fluid I am putting in?
  2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

hmm i have done that once but i would pull the hoses of the angle cylinder's drain it out open the other two drain plugs with the filters either clean them or change them then fill up with meyers fluid and add some alcohol
  3. danmc

danmc Member

thanks for the info, i think that's what I'll end up doing...

how does your dakota handle plowing? i was looking at a 1995 dakota club cab with a v-8 before i got my current truck...
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

This is the easy way to do it, you will have much trouble taking hose or fitting off of an old ram so don't bother trying.
    Use old hoses with the right connector to drain the rams. The hose needs to be open at one end. You need a strong helper. Put plow on it's mold board with A frame up in the air and hose disconnected between rams. Have helper hold A frame up right. Connect the ram hoses together and move A frame to the opposite side of the one you are draining.Connect the open hose to the ram ( with the correct connector) on the side you are draining. Male in to Female etc, hose open at other end. Then the two of you push the A frame toward that side which will expel the fluid out the hose. Catch the old fluid in a coffee can etc. Clear hose if you can then suck in clean fluid with it as you Repeat the procedure on opposite side since this side is now all the way over. Hope this is clearer then mud.
  5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

its really great the 318 puts out 235hp and 300lbs of torque i have had no problem with even big storm 25" i should have put a seven on it but oh well
  6. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

This is the advice I found on a website, and it seemed pretty good; but I've found that with my Diamond 8 1/2 foot, it's nearly impossible to do this way. It took a twelve foot 2x8 jammed into the A frame as a lever and two men before we could get it to move.

The easy way is to mount the plow to the truck, hook the chain on, and lift it. Once it's mounted and a few inches off the ground, one man can easily angle the plow (given that the hoses are connected as described to allow proper flow).

This also has the advantage of not having to rest the weight of the plow on the deflector, if you have a deflector.