1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help with diesel

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by a2t2p, Aug 4, 2006.

1. a2t2p

a2t2p Junior Member

looking at buying another plow truck. this one would be my first diesel. just wondering what i should be careful of when i go look at it.

the ad pretty much says-
    95 f350 dually, 7.3l turbo diesel, 17MPG, $5k invested, V-5 receiver, Tonneau cover.

what do people usually invest in for diesels? i understand that it might not have to do with the diesel, but i like to be informed.

i am mainly worried about mileage and whether or not it's had a plow on it. don't want someone else's snow problems.

thank you guys in advance!!!

and just to get an idea...
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
  2. a2t2p

a2t2p Junior Member

no 4x4. no good. onto the next truck.

anything specific i should i be wary of with a used diesel?
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
  3. PPMnh

PPMnh Junior Member

it's extremely rare to find a factory 4x4 diesel in that body style with dual wheels (most are a centurion conversion). there are plenty 350 single rear wheels in a 4x4 configuration though. like anything, see if it's been maintained.
  4. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Take a close look at the oilpan. They are notorious for the oilpans rotting out and leaking thru. Ask the owner if he has ever had it replaced and look at it closely to see if anybody has made a botched attempt at patching it. There is no way to fix it other than replacement!

The only way to replace it is to partially remove the engine from the truck and is a fairly involved process that can run into some big coin! payup
  5. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Nice truck. Buts its 2wd. Keep looking.
  6. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

What kind of truck are you looking for, and what are you going to do with it? Single rear wheels, dual, reg cab, x cab. I have had the 7.3L Powerstroke and now the 6.0L. 7.3L was a very powerful and RELIABLE motor. I would suggest 1999 and newer because thats when the electronics were introduced to that engine which were a big improvement. The 6.0L is not bad, but does have its issues, and you probably couldnt get a cheap used one, as they have not been out that long. Shoot for a 1999-2002 7.3L. Good luck
  7. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

ford didn't make a 4x4 drw pickup untill 1999, they only came on cab and chasis?????????
  8. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i've got a 02 f 250 7.3 with 30k miles, in good condition i'll sell for private party book value. i bought it last year and only driven it about 10 miles, always kept inside.