1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with decision on plow to purchase

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jhall22guitar, Nov 30, 2015.

1. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

We are looking at adding a new truck to our department at the company I work for, and it will most likely be a Fuso or a DRW F350. Either will probably have a 10-12' landscape/dump body on it. We are considering bringing plowing back in house with this truck, or at least trying to sub out less of it as we are growing.

All of the properties are easy to plow, except one parking lot. This parking lot in particular has drive lanes that are 1-1.5 cars wide and 100-150 yards probably (although there is more than enough room to stack at the end as we close off a whole 6 car wide by entire length of parking lot area for snow as a precaution)

We should be able to keep up with the storm and plow with it, so we shouldn't be pushing more than 2-4" at this property.

I was thinking either a V plow or an expanding plow and would like to hear what people think. the lot is one of three gravel areas that we have to plow.
  2. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

We are running 2 Fuso FG's currently. One has a 9 foot Boss DXT and the other a 9 foot Fisher. The rest of my trucks have Boss plows. The Fuso's are like little tractors in the snow, it seems nothing stops them. The guys complain that they are not as comfortable to ride in, and not fast, but that is what the 20 somethings seem to say about a lot!
  3. jhall22guitar

We have one Fuso FG (I believe) now but its now a 4WD model and already has traction issues when we need to get up a steep hill at one property. We are looking at a new truck to be a dedicated landscaping truck since our Fuso is currently a do-all truck for us so it never has downtime for repairs.

That being said, I am really only trying to figure out if a V or Expanding plow would be the better option for such long pushes between these cars since we don't really want to windrow onto the cars bumpers or leave bigger piles along the edges then we have too. These lots will be in use and a 100-150 yard push straight without being able to windrow if needed seemed longer than ideal.

My bosses personal truck has a fisher V, although i don't think if we got an expanding he would want to be trading plows if we needed too. And I have used both Boss and Fisher plows and have no real complaints with either.

Glad to hear that the FG's are that good in the snow though, I know that was something we were going to have to try and find out.
  4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

There is one plow that's a western 9.6 below with wings
  5. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

An expanding plow would be good for that situation, or get an 8ft v and add wings. The wings are angled out and would help you carry snow further.
    I said 8ft because it may be too narrow for a 9footer with wings
  6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

who is making the decision?
  7. jhall22guitar

Myself and the boss will be making a decision, as it has to go into our budget for the next year. We are going to be comparing the pro's and con's of both plows for this one situation since the rest of our lots/driveways are either pretty open or have drive lane pushes that will only be 100ft compared to this at about 100-150 yards depending on the lane.

I was thinking a wideout purely since I have heard great things about them holding alot of snow, but have never worked with them. I have used V plows but never in such a restricted area for this distance so hoping to find someone who can advocate for what they have used in hopefully a similar situation.
  8. jhall22guitar

Do you know what a 9' with wings in scoop measures? That would be a good starting point for us we we knew that. I also wonder if a F350 could push 2" of snow almost 150 yards in scoop, or at what point it becomes impossible. Ideally we wouldnt want to windrow to the sides as we would end up blocking cars in by the end Im sure.
  9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Who's on first.......Thumbs Up

Since the truck will be a dually a 9+ foot V with wings is the way to go and since you're in Fisher county get a 9.5Ft SS XV2 w/wings. In full scoop it's 8.2ft wide and will barley be wider than the duals.
  10. jhall22guitar

Good info that will fit down the lanes pretty easy, Ill just have to ensure the parking guys leave enough room to turn into the lane.

I need to find out who our local fisher dealer is. I know if we get a Fuso the Fuso dealer we use is a boss plow dealer.

I wasn't sure if the V would be as good for carrying snow this distance compared to a Wideout/Expanding plow. We usually sub it out and i believe the guy used a skid with a push box, but if we have the plow we aren't sure if we will keep him yet. Maybe we can try to put our own skid in the budget, thats been talked about for years.