1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help with ctd

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by a2t2p, Aug 6, 2006.

1. a2t2p

a2t2p Junior Member

i'm looking at a '97 3500 ctd dually. it's got about 190000 on it, not worried about the mileage, as i know they'll last 300+, just need to know what to look for as far as ways to tell it was maintaned. maybe trans issues. front end issues ( i know the ctd is a heavy motor. ) anything that would stand out at first look & test drive.

this will be my first diesel, so not really too educated on them yet. i do know that this truck has not had a plow on it, YET :nod: .

thanks for the info.
  2. PPMnh

PPMnh Junior Member

look at the front of the motor to see if there's an oil leak (the KDP - killer dowel pin can fall out and crack the front case). check the door cavities to see how clean they are (details). the factory tracbar goes often, plus the other front end parts...all replaceable of course. then it's the basics, fluid levels/colors, rust, cleanliness, mechanical problems, etc.

THEN comes the bombspurplebou
  3. a2t2p

a2t2p Junior Member

well here goes...just on the outside, 2 out of the 4 back tires are blown, and i mean a hole about the size of a donut in the sidewall. under the truck is no better. shocks are shot, not only in practicallity, but are rusted through and through. oil is seeping out of anywhere possible. apparently, the truck came off the line as a dump body, the bed that's on it now is somehow sitting too far forward, if i were to add say a salter to the rear, the duals would rub on the fender.

only one word comes to mind 'RUN":nono: