1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help with corner strobes in 04 F250

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by demetrios007, Jan 30, 2005.

1. demetrios007

demetrios007 Member

I'm gonna order hideaways this week, wondering what colors and location to place them in. I am thinking clears in the front turn markers and possibly amber in the backup lights. I'm gonna pull the rear lenses to have a look tomorrow, just wondering what you guys with them think and suggestions. Also do you prefer the screw on type of the pop ins, I'm leaning towards screwins, have my brothers bodyshop to do the install at, no probs there.

2. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

Put the clears in all 4 corners. And I've found that the pop in type are easier to install.

Have them in the front corners and reverse lights.

3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Clear strobes could get you a ticket. I run with all amber in the front. In the brake light part of the taillight that is clear but flash's red. I DO NOT run down the road with them on, only plowing and mostly plowing the exit's and entrance's to the lot's. I have a 90 watt power supply man are they bright.

Good Luck Mike

4. saleen49

saleen49 Junior Member

I remember reading on an Ebay listing that clear strobes are the only ones legal for sale there, I have seen guys using them in the red tail light but would think this to be a bad idea, :nono:

5. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

This is what I know. Put them in the brake/running lights and your getting a ticket eventually.Install in the back-ups. Clears are not illegal

6. plowwannab2003

plowwannab2003 Member

clear is not a legal color. amber is the only legal color allowed on a non-emergency vehicle. go with amber all around epsecially if u have the clear/amber tinted running lights because if you put clear in those they shine clear but if u have the all amber running lights then go with 2 ambers and 2 clears.and you may have a little trouble fitting them into the reverse lights its kind of a small space but it may work. but i don't think that your really gonna have to worry about getting a ticket no matter what color you put in wether its clear in the reverse lights or clear in the taillights because a cop usually won't hassle you because he knows what you are using them for. anyways. good luck.

7. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

It is a tight fit in the reverse lights. I just installed the screw in type bulbs and could only install the lights one way so they would clear the existing reverse lights. Then I could only put one screw in the mount of the strobe light bulb to angle it away from the reverse bulb. I installed 6 lights. I put them in the front turn signals, reverse lights, and in the taillights. I was told that you can't have them in your headlights or have any kind of flashing red light facing forward, it might vary from state to state though.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2005
  8. jeffw

jeffw Senior Member

i just installed my 6 bulb set in the corners, i put two in the brake lights, back up looked way to tight for bulbs. i put two in the front on in each directional and marker. i wish i had gone with amber bulbs for the fronts. since the new sd has clear lenses these things are way to white and bright. go with the screw in type the pop in takes up to much room for the fronts. when you do the fronts if you go after the corner marker light watch your room they are also a tight fit for rear side clearance. i got my 90 watt set from buckeye public safety. 244.00 and 49.00 for a switch box. i also got some 20 foot cables for the rears. that way they all ran to the front fire wall and in the cab at the same spot. i mounted my control in the plastic box behind the seat. and the switch box on the right side of the steering wheel below the dash pocket, fits real nice.

Jeff :drinkup:

9. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

so the screw in type hide a way strobes will fit in the reverse lights? I am going to take it on this summer when it is warmer out just want to make sure.
    thanks

10. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

Yeah they fit, but it is tight. Take your time to really look it over. I probably spent 30 minutes on each light. The trick is how you "clock" the lights in the reverse light housing since the strobe lights are an irregular shape. Once you start to install them, you'll see what I mean by how you can turn them to clear the reverse light bulbs. Even when I got them as far away from the reverse light bulbs as I could, I installed both screws but left one kinda loose to angle the strobe light even further from the reverse light bulb. Once I figured out at what angle I wanted to clock them in the housing, I used the gasket that comes with the lights as a template to mark the center of the 1 inch hole required for the light. To keep my center mark, I used a small drill bit (1/16) and started the hole by hand then drilled it a little bigger before using the hole saw. I actually got away with using 15 foot cables on a crew cab long bed Ford, the front cables had about 4 inches left over. The power supply was mounted behind the rear seat in the middle on the floor. My truck has a rubber floor, so I just cut a square out of it to mount the box directly to metal to dissipate the heat.

11. E&B

E&B Member

I install many hide-a-way strobes and it all depends on your state but I've found many states do not allow any red or blue flashing lights at all and you are not allowed to have a clear light shining backwards. If you want to be leagal the best is to put in amber in the front directionals and rear backup lights. I usually install clear in the front because they tend to be brighter.

12. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

for nj look at dot, police, etc.

for private use youre probably only safe with amber. dot runs amber all around. the dot roadside repair trucks run all amber and occ. wht strobes to the rear. only nj police run red lights. as for your clear corner/marker lamps. i would get an amber strobe to place in them.

in de I have amber to the front and red to the rear. however dot trucks also have this setup. i have had company trucks break down on I 95 and secondary roads and have had the strobes on. Police, state police, and de dot roadside repair trucks didnt care.

check nj laws and consider if you might be on a public road when theyre in use.

13. mrfreeze

mrfreeze Junior Member

Where to purchase

Are these the same lights sold in GALLs? Similar to Police flashers?

:waving: