1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with contract please!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sno-problem!, Dec 19, 2009.

1. sno-problem!

sno-problem! Junior Member

Hey guys,

I've got a new customer who is having me service both her house and her office. Her house consists of one double driveway, one single driveway, front walk, back walk, and patio.
    Office consists of parking lot (about 50 square feet) and front sidewalk/steps.

Anyways, this old hag has been a pain in the ass for me already and I've only done work for her twice. I have not yet gotten her to sign the contract.

I know she's going to be trouble, and I want to make sure I get paid, and that she can't complain about any BS. Plus, she's a freakin lawyer, so I need help making a contract that is bombproof so that I she can't find some stupid loophole or reason not to pay me.

Anybody have any examples of contracts that they have used for these types of wonderful customers?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Send a final bill and cancel her, she'll make it hell for you all winter. Small claims court if you have it.

3. sno-problem!

I've been considering cancelling her. However the opportunity to make big bucks off her is tempting me to stick it out.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You were warned ,good luck!

5. Nelsen

Nelsen Member

Doesn't sound like anything I'd even mess with. Just send her the bill, and tell you think it's best if she finds another contractor to handle her snow removal. I don't drop them all the time, but I do still. One ***** for no reason is a freebee, and I usually tell them that. The second I just end the relationship. No reason to get all huffy about a contract.

6. sno-problem!

Hmmm.... Yeah you guys are probably right. Since you're the experienced ones I'll take your advice!

Thanks

7. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

Let us know what she says. I can't stand lawyers

8. sno-problem!

Haha I know eh.... and she's EXACTLY the type of person you would expect her to be! lol

9. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

You beat me to it but thats the best advice IMO.

Besides, every contract has a loophole.

10. plowmanben

plowmanben Member
    from MI

I had a place last season that was a potential "money maker", but the guy was a major pain. I tried sticking it out, but that only lasted a month then I sent him a final bill and a letter explaining my side of why it's not working out. You are better off just dropping her now like everyone else is saying.

11. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

What did she do to be a pain in the a$$? If your main concern is getting paid just tell her payment is do on conpletion of service, and hand her the bill when you are done. No more service until she pays for last service. If you do it stiffed it would be minumal. I have had customers like this before, and have found this approach works very well. I hand them a bill, ask them if there were any problems. If yes we look the property over, fix any problems, have them sign a release that they are satisfied, get my moeny and go. Then I know for sure what they expect. After a couple of times It will be, give her the bill, get a signed release and a check and go.

Now I know that some people you just can't please but this works most of the time.
    Dennis

12. CarharttComando

CarharttComando Junior Member
    from MI

drop her asap those customers majority of the time turn out to be more hassle than income

13. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i had a customer like that last year, we went back 3 times because she said we had done a poor job, went back three times, for no good reason, finally, my guys went to the door, asked her what she thought, she said it was good, they left, (after taking out her garbage for her!!!) and then she phoned again, at that point, i politely told her that we were no longer interested in doing her place, some people have nothing better to do then complain

14. stumpslawncare

stumpslawncare Member
    from Indiana

If she is a lawyer trade services with her, have her draw up some contracts for you and be on stand-by should any legal problems need to be handled. Then you clear her lots free of charge for her services, Oh and make sure she signs the contract she draws up! :nod:

15. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

unfortunately you run across people like that with the more business you do