1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with condo bid

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by ProScape Canada, Oct 27, 2009.

1. ProScape Canada

ProScape Canada Junior Member

What do you guys think of this bid. The whole condo area is plowed by another company. Half units are freehold. The ones circled in red are those which I would be serving (80 units). The blue circle is where the snow will be piled, I will not be removing the other company will be removing.

Duties include
    1.5" Trigger
    stairs. 21 Sections of stairs, maybe 12 steps height by 8ft width. with salting.
    sidewalk. 975 lin.ft. roughly 4-6ft wide with salting
    parking stalls. 112 stalls, most in groups of 15-20
    Clear 5ft path between condos 100-150ft long

--- snow from stairs and sidewalk must be pushed to stalls then moved from stalls to blue area ---

I'm thinking $16'080.22 for a season but the numbers been bugging me for some reason. This is in the Ottawa area.

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

how many events are you expecting per season?

3. ProScape Canada

I would be expecting between 20-25 snows.

4. buckwheat_la

in my mind,,,,,, your bid would be ok, if you didn't need to move all that snow to one area, we do quite a few 50 + units, and i think you could easily add about 1-2 hrs per push (depending on snow fall amount) to get that snow over there, the other thing that bugs me about this property is what happens if you run out of room, where does the snow go, and are you expected to put it there at the same price., your price isn't really far out, i don't think you are going to lose money, but there is quite a bit more work there then your typical condo

5. ProScape Canada

Yep its the pushing I'm trying to figure out because when I get around to doing those spots the road will have been done by a plow already (The roads are not on my contract). The same company doing the roads plows and piles in the same spot and they are responsible for the removal of the snow.

6. buckwheat_la

so you are just doing the parking spaces and the walkways? if this is the case you may be alright, i thought you were doing the roadways too.

7. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I don't know about Ottawa pricing, but to include that much relocation, I would want more then $200 a unit. I have not heard of that type of work being performed either. So you could be dead on. I would talk to people on site about how it worked last year, to me it is a recipe for disaster. I could see many heated discussions between you and the other plow company. You or they will often feel screwed. If your salting is included, is the other companies? You may have to re-salt their road after you do the relocation. Are there always going to be cars there? You should send around a notice asking for all cars to be removed at x am after an overnight storm. That will annoy you and the other company if you have to backdrag the whole road.

Anyway, good luck.

8. ProScape Canada

I don't know why the company did this but they already signed a contract for the roads, likely because there is other freehold condos there. My salting is only on the stairs and sidewalk, no salting of parking spots. As for all the cars being moved at x am, there was something in the bid request about that and I've left the management company a message last night for clarification.

I talked to a couple people in the complex very briefly already but your right, there may be tension between the other plow company and it's possible that's why their looking for a new contractor this year.

9. ProScape Canada

So we had a talk. What was explained is that the snow is piled against the condos themselves then every time it gets too large 'at the managers discretion' all vehicles will be moved from parking stalls and the snow will have to be moved from the building side to the parking spots then from there into a tandem or tri. from the road its pushed into an allocated area (blue circle) and removed at the same time. As for vehicles, they are not moved out of their spots after a snow.

Think the bid is fair still or do you think it might have to be bumped up a bit? Thanks!

10. buckwheat_la

i think you are ok, you may make a adjustment up next year, but if you have the contract, give it a go this year, i don't think you are in danger of losing your shirt.

11. ProScape Canada

Thanks for your help!