1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help with cluster fix

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by johnslawn, Apr 13, 2011.

1. johnslawn

johnslawn Member
    from ma

I searched history here and decided I needed to repair/replace stepper motor in dash cluster.
    Speedo only thing not working, I call shop in CT and they tell me its not cluster, say power is not getting to speedo. He asked me a couple of questions and new this.

So anyone with ideas would be great. 06,silverrado lt. 3500, 6.0.

2. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

If you search ebay, you can get rebuilt clusters pretty decently priced if you decide to replace it.

3. johnslawn

johnslawn Member
    from ma

Cluster supplier told me the cluster is not the problem.

4. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

Technically he's right. Most likely it's the stepper motor running the speedo. Usually it's easiest just to get a rebuilt cluster. I usually take the oportunity to replace the clusters without tranny temp guages with 3/4 ton clusters, but I'm guessing that yours probably already has one. If you dont mind, you said that he asked you some questios to determine that it wasnt the cluster, could you share his questions and your answers so we may be able to help you further?

5. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

Is your odometer still working?

6. johnslawn

johnslawn Member
    from ma

Blizzard, He wanted to make sure it was an 06. He said 06 was not known for the no speedo. Asked if letters, " p r n d were electronic or printed on. As soon as I said printed on, he said problem was signal going to cluster

7. johnslawn

johnslawn Member
    from ma

Odometer stopped also. Cluster guy also asked about that

8. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

Could very well be. If I remember correctly, I thought the affected X25 stepper motors were from 2003 - 2006. Could be a speed sensor?

9. thermo

thermo Member
    from USA

I thought that the recall on the gauge cluster was 03-06 also. I had the cluster replaced on my 03. You could try removing the IPC fuse for about 5 minutes and then reinserting it as that worked for me until I had it replaced. However my gauges were sticking instead of not working at all.

10. johnslawn

johnslawn Member
    from ma

I talked to two dealers both said truck is not covered. Where do I find the speed sensor?
    What is IPC fuse?

11. thermo

thermo Member
    from USA

Sorry about the truck not being covered. The IPC/DIC fuse is the instrument panel cluster/driver information center fuse. Its a 10 amp fuse and is in the engine compartment fuse box on my 03 half ton silverado. Removing it may not work but it isnt going to hurt.

12. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

I would also check the fues with a multimeter to see if it was good or bad. Are you getting any DIC lights or indicators?

13. johnslawn

johnslawn Member
    from ma

I'll check them in next day or so. Rain coming. Everything else is working.

14. johnslawn

johnslawn Member
    from ma

checked fuses and VSS all seem good. sent cluster out for all new stepper motors. still no speedo and odom.
    Any ideas?

15. BlizzardBeater

from Maine

Hmmm, I know its probably not what you want to hear but it may be time to have the dealer put it on the computer. Even if your not getting codes on the dash, you may still be generating some. Plus, they can tell if the computer is sensing speed and figure out where you're losing signal. On the other hand, you can get your hands on a schematic and trace your way backwards from the cluster to see where you're not gettin signal. All depends how good you are and how much spare time you've got. :salute:

16. captadamnj

captadamnj Senior Member

Someone I know had theirs quit working for a couple YEARS and then it just started magically working again one day. Never did find the problem. On the bright side, you are now a LOW MILEAGE driver!

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

How did you check for VSS signal? If you didn't check that the PCM is receiving a speed signal from the VSS with a scanner that will display data your check wasn't thorough. If the PCM doesn't receive a speed signal it can't send it along to the cluster, which it does via the class 2 network so don't look for a VSS input wire directly to the cluster because there isn't one.

18. johnslawn

johnslawn Member
    from ma

The VSS is sending speed to scan data port. I had a scanner plugged in and drove truck a few feet and the scanner showed speed.
    My next move is to look for any broke wires from fuse bank in eng compartment.
    I am looking for anything to try before giving dealer my $$
    As for low mileage trk has 55.000 now and I plan on selling it this summer.