1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with checking wiring E47

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by leadfooter, Aug 14, 2012.

1. leadfooter

leadfooter Member
    from Midwest

I have an old E47 that will not angle right but wants to go left all the time. It does raise and lower fine. When I jump the green coil straight to the battery it clicks. Should it also move the plow when I jump it ??
    How do I check it with my meter exactly. I cannot even get a reading off the red wire even though it obviously works?? I have put the meter on DC and put the red lead into the red wire.
    I have put the black lead on the frame and I get nothing. When I test the battery the meter says 12.71 V ?
    Can someone explain how to check it with the meter exactly? Thanks

2. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Easiest test is to hold a screw driver or something metal above the coil, try a function and see if the coil magnetizes . If it does, then the valve is no good

3. leadfooter

leadfooter Member
    from Midwest

Thanks for the reply
    I want to be able to also test the wiring with a meter and need instructions for that because I don't believe its getting power?? So I can track down the problem

4. leadfooter

leadfooter Member
    from Midwest

Amazing thing is if I switch the red and green wires I can get the plow to work in all directions but the switch is off then so it must not be an issue with the coils ??

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Not necessary,,,,your changing to pwr and gnd so the plow will act funky,,, gotta see if your getting a signal at the right angle coil don't use a meter,,,use a test light

6. leadfooter

leadfooter Member
    from Midwest

Turns out the problem was the angle toggle switch.

7. Reliable Snow and Ice

Reliable Snow and Ice Senior Member

they go bad all the time....

8. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

The meyer switches are NOT adequate to handle the amount of current that they are subjected to. The contacts arc and blacken. I've managed to restore a few of these, by disassembling the switches and cleaning the contacts. Ideally, a larger switch should be used in this application.