1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help with buying a 3/4 4x4 ton chevy

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bdemir, Jan 27, 2001.

1. bdemir

bdemir Member

Hello,

I am looking at an 88 chevy 4x4 with western plow. The guy wants 4500. Which seems like a good price.
    I am new to chevys but i like them and have an 88 silverado that the tranny went on. It also had other little problems but like these trucks alot. Is this a bad year for 4wheel drive and what should i look for in a used truck. A particular year maybe. Hes asking a low price for the truck so i am expecting to be something wrong with it.There is rust around the wheel wells and he says no rust on the frame. He says he has plowed a little with the truck and hes in Buffalo NY and im in Michigan. Everything is over the phone so i am hesitant about going to get it. WHat should i do i really want the truck.

BEdros

[Edited by bdemir on 01-27-2001 at 09:25 AM]

2. 3/4tonTodd

3/4tonTodd Member

bdemir

In my opinion, you should be able to find a 4x4 with a plow a lot closer to your house than NY. Check out the internet - there are at least half a dozen sites that will let you search by state. Also you can check out a couple different auto parts stores. Many of them will have bulletin boards with vehicles for sale, plus they usually sell or give away some kind of publication that just lists used vehicles for sale.

Good luck with your hunt for your truck!

Todd

3. bdemir

bdemir Member

Todd,

Thanks for the replt.

I have checked a few sites but not all of them this ad is out of auto trader but thanks for the help. There are more plow trucks in adds this week conpared to last couple of weeks.

BEdros

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

The price seems good,therust around the rear wheels and cab corners are a common thing on the 88-89's.Mine is just starting to rust over the right wheel,but not the left.you must be able to find something closer?I went 2 hrs one way last yr to look at a 90 GMC 3500 single wheel 4x4,it was a big mistake,the truck was described totally different than how it was,I drove right by it,and never thought it was the one in the ad.All told i took a day off work(200) lost,took 5 hrs time,and put 200 miles on truck,pulled trailer all the way,30 on tolls,30 on gas-well it was an expensive day to say the least.I always pay a little more now,and stay close to home,but i still surf the ads all over,and wish it were closer,LOL.If I had detailed pics of the internet i would have saved a ton of time,if you can get them and it looks good at that point-Id consider it,buti ve been burnt,so im leary.

5. bdemir

bdemir Member

well thanks for the advice guys but ive changed my mind again and now im thinking of plowing the residentials with a 6cyl jeep. I just cant see getting a huge 3/4 ton into some fo the residential derives that i will be doing.

Thanks for the help.

Bedros

6. 3/4tonTodd

3/4tonTodd Member

First, I must say that the truck I have now is the first truck I've owned. Second, I have to say that I've never even driven a truck with a plow, let alone owned one.

Having said all that, if I were going to put a plow on a truck, and use that plow regularly, I wouldn't even think of putting it on anything less than a 3/4 ton pickup. In the plowing discussion I'm sure you'll find LOTS of guys that only use 1/2 ton trucks for plowing, but I guess I'd be more comfortable with that extra "beef" on the front suspension in the 3/4 ton, not to mention the rear, where you're going to have to put in counterweights, or a V-box for dropping sand/salt/whatever. In other words, I don't think a Jeep is going to cut it for you, but that's only my opinion. Drop by the plowing discussion and I'm sure you'll get several dozen more opinions.

Oh, and to make sure this post stays with the right discussion, I'd only use a Chevy truck!

Good luck in your truck hunt!

Todd

7. bdemir

bdemir Member

Todd,

Thanks for the reply.

I know about plowing and ive had big plow trucks but that is just not my thing. I will not be plowing big residentails so a jeep is going to be great. I know a lot of guys using them and i wish chevy made one so i could buy it but unfortunatly not. I do appreciate all the advice and have to say that i totally agreeabout the chevy thing.

Bedros

8. MATTHEW

MATTHEW Member
    from NE OHIO

plowing-jeep

I owned a jeep and I know you can do light plowing with the
    right plow, but you had better set it up right. Put on a tranny cooler for sure. Make sure to call JEEP to ask the techs about
    the recommended add-ons. If you don't do it right, you might be stuck in someones driveway with a busted spring,rod or steering box right when they need to leave for work!