1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with business

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by ShannonS, Feb 12, 2004.

1. ShannonS

ShannonS Member
    from IOWA

A question for you all, I recently started my business this year. Partnership type with the wife. Cause of the tax break for women minority and all. But I have handed out business cards left and right nobody wants any services right now, understandlby. Being in the tailend of winter and all. Makin lots of contacts for next season though. Just bought another truck tonite 1990 ford 250 reg cab with a western blade. But my question is that is it better to push by the inch or charge per push? Per push would make better sense to me how about you guys? And usally most people have a 1 inch trigger around here.
  2. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

I guess it depends on how many clients and what type they are. I charge by the inch, and for good reason. As long as my properties are clean by the time they open, it doesn't matter how many times I push. So, if it snows 6" overnight, My crew and I will go out and clean out the lots. Others, who charge by the push would have pushed 2 or 3 times by now. I may not get as much as if I had charged to pushed three times, but I was only out there once, and the extra time it took to push the extra snow still doesn't equal the time to make three pushes. And when you are paying others, you have to take efficiency into account. Not to make myself out as lazy, or something, but I know my clients, when they have to be cleared, and how long it takes us. Those three things combined make me money without sacrificing the service to the client. Now, if it is snowing during business hours, then I have to push on a regular basis and won't make as much.
    This may not pertain to you exactly, but I figure it is always nice to know what others do, so you have something to gauge yourself to.
  3. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I charge by the hour with the pickup and the ATV's (unless it is on walks) We have a 1/2 " trigger on the USPoast Office and some of the senior homes (about 12 accounts) and a 1" trigger on the remaining accounts (about 50). After each snow I enter it onto the customers invoice by the hour or push(walks). The last day of the month I send out an invoice and statement to each customer.
  4. JMR

JMR Senior Member

I have an assortment of commercial lots, some are by the push, some are by the inch, and some are by the hour. I can't honestly say that one is better than the other. I use different methods depending on the situation and the lot. Each method makes me good money. A straight forward lot by the inch works out well, but I have certain lots that by the hour are the only way to go. I believe there is no set method that will fit every situation. The obective is certainly to met the customers needs and operate profitable. Which ever method you use don't sell yourself cheaply. Quality service commands the appropriate rewards.
  5. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

This disscussion has been discussed on here several times, I know cause I started threads very simular to this and was told to do a search, you won't believe the info that pops up. Search under "Contracts"

Hope this helps :)
  6. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Post Office

Did you have any problems this year with payments from the Postal System????Took me 6 months to get things straightened out. They switched venders for accounts payable.

7. HLS Wholesale

HLS Wholesale Senior Member

what tax breaks are you referring to with women and minority owned businesses? I'm not aware of any tax breaks. Contract considerations, yes. But not tax breaks. Unless it's some local tax that doesn't affect most of us.

If I'm wrong, please tell me.

8. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

gene gls

I have never had any problems with the US Postal Service. They just started paying a little differently this winter though. Before I got the check within 2 days because the local poast master issues postal money orders on the site unless it was like over $400 dollars. Now they have to send the bills somewhere to be paid. I just recieved the USPO check today so that would be 13 days from billing date which is still not bad. The thing that I love is it doesn't matter what it costs they pay the bill. We have charged them as much as 800-900 for a months worth of services (which is a huge amount for our typical snowfall) and there is never any complaint. They are one account that wants to be cleaned off all the time. 1/4" on the walks and 1/2" on the parking and we are rolling. We have even hit that account as many times as 4 in a day if it keeps snowing hard. That is just what they expect. I wish they were all that way.
  9. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Yes, nice account. I have same service as you. The new postmaster is a woman and she wants to be cheep. I think she now understands my position on service requirements for the falcility. It just took so long for them to get the new accounts payable company organized with the correct information.Every year they switch to the cheapest vender for that service.