1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help with bidding!!!

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by firebug130, Dec 5, 2007.

1. firebug130

firebug130 Member

Anyone near Louisville Ky, I'm looking for some info on bidding. Should I bid per hour, if so how much per hour. I am only looking at doing four - five small lots that I acquired from a bus associate. The lots are small lots, McDonalds size if that big. Basically just looking for some advice on bidding. Any help would be great.

2. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Bidding per hour limits your income potential. There are only so many hours in a day and even less to get the job done by when the customer wants it.

Figure out what you need to make per hour, figure out how long the job will take you and then give the customer a flat price based on multiplying those two numbers. Then if you get it done quicker, you won't be loosing money. You can increase the price with an increase in snow amounts. Example 2"-6" = $40.00, 6"- 10" = $80.00, >10" = $120.

Lets say your hourly rate is $100 per hour. You have 5 lots to do and they take you 30 minutes each. That is 2.5 hours. So that's $250. per push.

Now let's say you get 40 per push. That's $200 per push. Now lets say you knock your time down to 20 minutes per push so hourly you make $166. Per push you still make $200. And you have an extra .8 hours to go do another lot or go home.

Disclaimer: Facts about your plowing situation may vary. All prices and times given are estimates used to help you, the snow plower, figure out how to best price your situation. This information is given with the understanding that the author does not live in the state, city or street where the actual snow plowing will take place and further that his equipment, labor, or needed profit varies greatly from yours. Also that snow amounts, frequency and events per season vary greatly from region to region. Further searching on this web site is recommended to gain more information.

3. Lawn_Enforcemen

Lawn_Enforcemen Junior Member

Fire im in the Lex area and peopel around Lex charge .30 cents per lb of salt and typically 65/ per machine hour.... other companys charge im still trying to figure out a rate as well though....

you can go to Mdsnowremoval.com register then login and click on the production calculator to see how long it will take,,,

4. firebug130

firebug130 Member

Thanks for all the info. I have talked to several people and believe that I have a grasp on it. Seems that we mainly put down salt/calcium in Louisville. Still trying to figure how long a lot will take, but getting better! I think.

any additional info is welcomed.