1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help With Bidding!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jmarti813, Oct 13, 2007.

1. jmarti813

jmarti813 Junior Member

I have gas stations that I am bidding on and they want the bid based on sq. footage.
    They want to know : 3- 6", 6-9", 9-15", per inch over 15". All of then are for, < 5000 sq ft.,
    5001-10000 sq ft., 10001- 15000 sq. ft., 15001- 20000 sq. ft., 20000 - 25000 sq. ft., >25001 sq. ft.

They also want sand and salt treatment for all the sq. ft.

per application per storm.

I have a snow blower and a bob cat skid steer with 68in bucket width.

Please help with bidding!!!

2. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I would check out other posts on this. There is alot of good info around. I would stay away from gas stations, they are a pain in the #&%.Anyway how long is it going to take you to plow the station with the snow falls you said? Also when does it have to be cleared? Be careful i have done work for the gas stations and they want it plowed after the snow has already stopped. They didn't let me plow with he storm. This is a pain for you and your truck. i.e Plowing around cars at the pump, and trying to push heavy packed down snow after the traffic has passed over it. I would figure it out by how much you want per hour. Then figure out how long it is going to take you to plow 1-3 4-6 and so on. Guys here charge double to apply salt. I.e if you get $100 to plow the snow charge $200 for the salt ( i am just using these numbers). Also what do you need the skid steer for? Will you have to remove snow? Do you have to clear anything with a blower? Also watch out for the manhole covers..

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  3. JT Contracting

JT Contracting Junior Member

Too much of a headache with paperwork and figuring out prices....IMO...I would give them a per push price with trigger and a per applicaion on sand/salt. Do you have a snowplow on a pickup?? Not sure a skidsteer in a gas station is a good option due to the fact of manhole covers and the skidsteer has no trip system on bucket, could cause damage. just my 2cents

4. jmarti813

jmarti813 Junior Member

Thanks for the advice so far but can I please get more specific answers, I have to work with the equipment that I have.

5. Quality SR

Do you have a pick up of just the skid steer?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  6. LAWN & SNOW

LAWN & SNOW Junior Member

Bid Help?

JMARTI813,

Your bid is the exact same thing i'm bidding on in virginia area. I was thinking $65.00 for 5000 sq.ft. and increase from there. I really dont know how to go about bidding.

7. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

Look, it's easy for guys asking for quotes to make you jump through hoops and drive you crazy with all kinds of math puzzles.

Charge them by the hour and be done with it. Around here, if they ask me to bid by the square foot, I say no, I'll bid by the hour and make good money.

You might not be able to bid by the hour for this guy, I don't know, I'm just suggesting to watch it, they like to get you going in all directions so your eye is off the ball and you don't know if you're making a profit.

The more complicated, the worse off you'll be. The KISS principle still applies, Keep It Simple Stupid.

:)

8. jmarti813

jmarti813 Junior Member

Does anyone have any numbers for me on this bidding. I know there has to be someone out there that can help with this besides say bid by the hour. Someone take a stab at it PLEASE!!!!

9. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

this is a tuffee, and it's hard to get anybody to give you a straight answer but i'll try if they won't let yo bid like you want, just bid high
    i would say $125 every 5000sq and i don't care how many inches and i would push on 2" but thats just me and i am kinda high on price but i have alot of work too (at least for a small town with not much snow)

10. Quality SR

No one is really going to give you a price to do your work, and the price in your location. Everyone is different. Figure out how long each lot is going to take you. And go from there. i.e. Lot size 10,000 sf with no obstacles 2-4" of snow may take you an hour. I charge $125 an hour. ( this is just a number for example) So you charge $125 for 2-4". Now 4-8" may take you 1 1/2 so charge $200 for 4-8" and so on. As far as Salting. Charge double to put it down. If you are charge $200 to plow charge $400 to apply salt ( again i am only using number here for example) If you are going to use your snow blower. How much do you want to make an hour to cover gas, your time in the cold, etc. And use that Number ( $ per hour) to figure out how log it will take you to do 2-4 4-8 and so on. Everything always comes down to how much you want to make an hour. Weather it is per push, per storm, 2-4, 4-8" etc. Like i said see what the obstructions there are, and go from there. Prices vary i may get more or less than you living in NY. Thats why no one is giving you a number. Just use this here and you will be ok. Also I would use a pick up with a plow rather than a skid steer. Like someone said the bucket doesn't trip if you hit something. The manhole are easy to hit and cause alot of damage. Good luck Rich

11. WINTERGROUP

WINTERGROUP Member

Sq Footage

Sound Just Like A "you - S- Maintenance" Bid Package ? Tell Them To Measure Their Own Lots. Does Not Sound Wirth It