1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help with bidding

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by m.$terner, Nov 16, 2011.

1. m.$terner

m.$terner Senior Member

Looking to bid this place but since im used to doing mostly small parking lots and neighborhoods and very little salting so this is a bit new to me. Dont want to go in super low and kill myself but at the same time dont want to go in high and screw myself out of a potential money maker either. I Have pictures below of the property. Everything needs to be plowed as far as the parking lot and the one lot is quite large. They want to use a 1inch trigger and everything needs to be salted. My salt price for bulk looks to be around 75-85 a ton delivered but not sure what to charge for that. Id prefer to give them options both per hr on 2 trucks and per hour on salt truck as well as a per event option stating up to 6 inches and so much more money per additional inch. What would you guys charge for something like this, a high price and a low price. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks

PS-The yellow is all part of the building so it does not need to be plowed. the little green patches are curbs with grass.its almost impossible to see in the bottom corner but the scale says 50 ft and you can see the parking spot lines which should help for actual size reference.

bidding estimate.jpg

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  2. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Where are you able to pile the snow at? do they want it all to the west at the very end of the bigger lot? On your salt you need to figure in all your other expenses, wear & tear on truck, gas, operator, % on top for profit. Never hear of a per hour for salt, your either per app or per tonnage. Depending on the conditions average is 500-600 lbs per acre. This again is all depending on the results they are wanting. And the conditions out.

3. m.$terner

m.$terner Senior Member

ok some good points.

All the snow can be piled at the west end where there are those few parking spaces facing the other way. Or I was just planning on pushing it to the curb and then lifting and pushing it over as I make each pass. Ive done salt per hour when using their salt or when im in a company truck with their spreader and salt but no not using my own equipemtn would I do per hour. I was considering doing per cubic yard on the salt so would like a price or per cubic yard spread. This would be me and my father so i dont have operator cost

4. TPC Services

Sorry can't help you with a hourly cost to salt bud, I have never done it that way. its always been by total ton apply or just by the ton. with out knowing a SQFT I can put a ruff tonage on it.
    That’s a awful long push to the west and with all those islands blocking a straight push to the end. Your going to be there for a while. My thoughts are easy 4 hours with a truck theres a lot of clean up around curbs islands, and if its all going down there I would almost say you would need a loader there for a hour or two to stack it back off the curb that’s a lot of snow to be dumping off at that end.

5. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

I agree with TPC that is a hell of a long push with a truck! if at all possiable i would push it short way and use a loader to stack it later. That is going to take every bit of 4 hours with a truck Salting is hard without out sq ft.

6. m.$terner

m.$terner Senior Member

Im not saying salt per hour. Id rather salt by ton, im fine with that. Not sure what that normally runs either though. Its looking ike 150,000-160,000 square foot total if that helps any. I dont have to push it all to the west side of the parking lot, we can push it anywhere as long as its up over the curb they dont really care. Is this going to be to much for 2 trucks to handle? I have others i can bring in on this but was trying to avoid so if at all possible. Let me know some prices on the total square footage and how much salt I would likely use as well as a decent price for salt spread by ton. Thanks

7. TPC Services

take your sqft and divde it by 42K I now I know thats not the real number for a acre but thats close enough!! so your looking at 3.5 to 3.8 tons I would round the 3.8 to 4 tons. I would pad it by a quarter for tuffer storms if you have to do it per strip. Are they wanting striaght salt or sand /salt mix?

8. m.$terner

m.$terner Senior Member

they want like 90% salt and 10% sand which seems dumb to me but its their call. How about the plowing? 150,000 square foot to plow too. So for salt im looking at about 4 tons to spread every storm. And its looking like somewhere between $50-70 per ton is going to be my price to buy so im 200-280 in just the cost of salt so $400-600 just to salt and I was thinking $800-1000 to plow up to 6 inches. 1000-1500 for 6-12 . 1500-2200 for 12-18 and 18+ being around $2500-3000 for just plowing. do those numbers seem in the ballpark or high or low or?? give me some feedback here. I have to have this submitted by tonight.

9. TPC Services

you have to figure you operating cost on what you want to make on the salt that seams low to me but our prices are differant around here we would be more in the range of $750 an up for salt. now your plowing you high on it but again like I said what we get around here is very differant that what you guys get up in the NE. go with what your markets average is there. if you where subbing for around $55 your pretty safe to say they where make $10 off U but thats not a given just a thought!! we would be more in the range of $550-$650 0-6" just in plowing, thats 4 hrs of truck an 2 hours in loader.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011