1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with Bidding this Neighborhood

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by stanger86, Oct 21, 2009.

1. stanger86

stanger86 Member

Hey all, I have been looking for a while on here on how to estimate things, I have the opportunity to bid out my buddies neighborhood. It consist of 18 houses, driveways right around 80-100ft in length, two cars in width. The main road is right around 3200ft in length, 22ft wide, so 70,400 sqft. We average about 24" of snow fall in our season. I have two f350s with 8' blades, one of those trucks has a vbox sander, and a dump truck that i can get a 10' blade for if I need to buy one. I also have a skidsteer and snowblowers and all the small stuff. What would you bid the drives at? 40.00 for driveway, 60.00 for driveway and walkways, and 75 for driveway and walkway and salt? How much for just the roadway if I charge per push, or seasonal contract? Here is a picture of the neighborhood from google maps.

2. stanger86

stanger86 Member

ok, so I have some figures I think. Tell me if this sounds about right?

We have about 8 snow falls a season. and it will take us about an hour to clear the streets with two trucks. at 120 an hour that about 240 per push for 1-3". So 240 times 8 is only 1920 a year. Im thinking we charge about 450 per push for 1-3", trigger can be anything they want it, but no more than 3''. 450 x 8 = 3600 for the season roughly. Then you have salting. It will take about 1-2 ton to salt the entire place our figure, we will charge 2 ton min. 1 ton of salt is 145.00. We get more icings than snow, so figure 10 saltings at 240.00 that is 2400.00. We can use our discretion to salt or allow them to tell us when to salt. So there is potential for 6000.00 per year for snow and ice management. Plus potential for 18 residential driveways.
  3. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

at that price you are going to lose money on the salt. its going to cost you money to salt.if it cost 145 for 1 ton of salt and you need two? you can"t salt for 240
  4. stanger86

stanger86 Member

I'm sorry I typed that out wrong, the salt price is what we are charging. Our actual salt price is 65 a ton to 75 a ton