1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with bid

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by bridge577, Nov 9, 2005.

1. bridge577

bridge577 Member
    from ohio

Have Handicap complex, got lot already
    They called and want walks done, Take about hour and a half w/ snow blower, They siad 8 bags of ice melt per app it I pay 8.45 bag for ice melt what do I charge for the side walk guy and salt? Thanks

2. scotty2222

scotty2222 Member
    from MI

Is that salt or calcium chloride for 8.45 a bag? Is it 50# or 80# bags

3. kyle volz

kyle volz Member
    from Midwest

The thing we need to remember with snow & ice removal is not necessarily what it cost, but what's the value. We can always get over cost.

As far as the sidewalk clearing, here's my two cents on that. What does it cost you per hour to offer that service plus what can you add to that cost based on what you perceive the market can bear. Then "push" the market so all the contractors in your area can make more money.

The most important thing to remember as I see it is this, PROFIT.

4. nailerdog

nailerdog Member
    from WI

Shouldn't the hourly be the same as with a truck, presuming you're tieing up that truck and guy?

5. bridge577

bridge577 Member
    from ohio

I guess what I wanted to know is how much to pay a sidewalk guy I am just going to have one guy doing side walks?

6. Bounty Hunter

Bounty Hunter Junior Member

I always have a shovel man riding in the plow truck. I pay him $10.00/hr. He blows walks, door entrances, and puts down salt+. I charge $30.00/bag for salt +( my cost about $10.00). It takes him about the same time to do the walks and entrances as it does to plow. I don't like the truck driver stopping the truck to blow snow by hand.

So lets see how that works out:
    Truck driver $15.00/hr
    Shovel man $10.00/hr
    Salt + $30.00/bag
    Truck charge $125.00/hr

Jack

7. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

So these are your costs or add these up for your final charge? if you pay your shovel man $10hr, youd want to make $15-$20 as you need to make a profit off him being there right?

8. Bounty Hunter

Bounty Hunter Junior Member

I charge $125.00/hr for the truck, including driver. I charge $30.00/hr for the shovel man. I charge $30.00 for bag of salt.
    If I estimated the plowing at 1 hr.----$125.00
    Shoveling at .5hr---------------------- 15.00
    2 bags of salt--------------------------- 30.00
    Total quote--------$170.00