1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help with bid

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Billz, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Billz

Billz Member

Hi, I have a chance to plow a condo development this year, I need to give them a price for the whole season. We average 20 pushes per season here. There are 77 driveways, about 20 feet wide by 20 feet long, and about 2500 feet of roadway around them. I have 2 trucks, 1 with a boss 10 foot v plow, and the other with a 7.5 ft boss straight plow. I have a back blade on that one, and they do not want any salt. Can anyone help me figure something out?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2004
  2. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

bids

Bill,

From what I can tell this is a large development with all the same size drives. Hopefully they have room around the sides to push the snow easily. If you allot 8 minutes per drivewayx77 driveways is 616 minutes,or 10 1/2 hours of plowing. 2 trucks figure you would need 5 hours.. I would figure on clearing the roadway first so you dont fill the bottom of the drives with the windrow and then clear the drives. If it takes two trucks 6 hours each, then thats 12 hours.. I would probably bid 1150. Maybe a few more or less.figure you dont have to drive far between places like a route that may be across town.hope it helpss..what do you use for equipment?? are you happy with it>

3. Billz

Billz Member

thanks, I was thinking that it would take both trucks 4 hours each, but it would take longer because only 1 truck has a back blade...I usually charge seasonally 20 pushes, last year I averaged 18-24 depending on the trigger...I might consider buying a 3rd truck if I get the account, that would make it maybe 4 hours each. I have 2 Ford F-350s, 1-2001 and 1-2002, they are great trucks and I took some advice last year and did some work for a big company here instead of doing it for myself. It was a great idea, I ended up buying a truck for my landscaping business and put a plow on it, so I ended up with 2 trucks. I do not have a loader, should I be worried about that?

4. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

Glad to hear we are both close with our estimates.At least neither of us are to far off. I would only worry about a loader if you were doing a large lot with not a lot of room to stack the snow. AS long as you push snow far enough back on the driveways into the yard you would be in good shape.

5. Billz

Billz Member

had a meeting today, they decided to have me bid on the shoveling of walks too now, there are 63 walks, 30 of them are 6 feet long by 2 feet wide, 20 are 12 feet long by 2 feet wide, and 21 are 20 feet long by 2 feet wide...1680 sq feet of shoveling...I have never seen that much in 1 location. Does anyone have an idea how long it would take to do that much?it seems like in 4 hours it could be done, but it would be a long cold job, I will have to bump the hourly pay for that...I hate to do 15 minutes of shoveling, myself!

6. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

find a machine to do the job! small bobcat or something like that. inclosed cab with heater and radio. and charge the same or more then you do for the trucks.

7. Billz

Billz Member

I think they would balk at a $40,000 plow bid! lol

8. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

I worked for a guy last year that had a bobcat and he used it on a condo complex with 90 driveways.. The bobcat would use the bucket and drag the snow out into the center of the street and I'd come by with a loader and a Protech box and push it to the pile areas. He'd usually spend 6 hours doin that before I came along and pushed the piles.. He was able to scrape to bare asphalt too. I'd usually spend a good two hours pushing piles once he was done.. The loader went out at $95 an hour and I'm sure the bobcat was at least $75 an hour.. Hope that helps.. Prolly be right in the same general area that you're in.

One suggestion, put a back blade on the second truck too.. That contract alone would more than pay for it..

9. Billz

Billz Member

I think they will decide to hire a smaller company this year, their eyes almost popped out of their heads when they saw my bid! lol