1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with Bid on Salting

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by tazzplow1, Oct 24, 2009.

1. tazzplow1

tazzplow1 Junior Member

Hi I need help with bidding this location.
    It has two Restaurants and a Movie theater.
    Will be plowing and salting the whole location and needed to know how much salt would be needed and how much do you charge either by the ton or by the bag could use either one have both a Vee box and a Tailgate spreader.
    Approx.369.650 sq ft or 8.49 acres.

Attached Files:

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

If you try to salt that with a tailgate salter there are two things that come to mind. One you will be there all day doing it and you wont have much profit margin. Get a v box and a line on some bulk salt right away. You may want to buy or build you a liquid deicer. It won't replace rock slat but it will help you when you can't buy rock salt and its much cheaper.

Regards Mike
  3. tazzplow1

tazzplow1 Junior Member

Thank you.How much salt do you think I would need to apply and how should I price this out never charged for bulk always charged by the bag and they where alot smaller in size.
  4. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

700 lbs ish per acre
  5. tazzplow1

tazzplow1 Junior Member

So let me see if it is approx 8 acers where looking at 5600lbs of salt?
    That seems like a lot of salt to me then again never had anything this big before.
  6. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I don't mind helping but this has been discussed over and over (the search button is a wonderful thing) ...... to keep it simple figure 20 lbs salt per 1000 sq ft (alittle heavy for my needs but its easy to remember).......conditions will vary as well as your salt usage... Hope it helps

And as a side note , I hope you've got something larger then a truck to do that lot... is it zero tolerance? Your going to at the very least need a loader (maybe a skid also) with a pusher for that lot.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2009