1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

*** Help with Apt's & Condos ***

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by PGLC, Aug 6, 2009.

1. PGLC

PGLC Junior Member

:help:
    We are fairly new to the industry and located in SE Wisconsin. We are now looking into pricing apartments and condos. Mainly we do parking lots and that is a per push basis right now. The apartments and condos are looking for a seasonal or monthly rate with sidewalks shoveling. Does anyone have a system they could share on how they price these types of properties?

Thanks for your help!

2. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

No system, but when you get it figured out add another 20%, then add another 20% as they are a PITA and another 20% if they are owned out of Chicago.....and you might be able to make money!

3. tinffx

tinffx Member

I have done a ton of apts & condos but never on a monthly or seasonal basis. They are a pain in the ass if you want to do a good job. Wings or a V would be the way to go unless you plan on plowing in everyone's car. Depending on the size of the property an army of shovelers & snowblowers might be needed for the sidewalks.

Also keep in mind that these properties are somewhat easier to do in the daytime because a lot of the cars are gone. If you have primarily commercial parking lots it would be a good add to take on because it can be done when the other lots are congested

4. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

They usually get bid pretty cheap around here. I'm bidding on one and am passing on another because the winning bid was about half price as mine for the summer work. Where are you at?

5. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Condos, townhomes, are a PITA. Especially owner occupied townhomes, where everyone pays maintenance and feels they have the right to Biatch everytime a flake hits the ground.

There is generally a board of directors, which nominates the biggest smarta$$ as PRESIDENTE, who has absolutely no clue as to whats what, and he takes the crap of the other owners, and usually has a nervous breakdown partway through the year, as he realizes his "so called solution" to his inferiority complex is actually working against him and hes actually now hated by his neighbours. He eventually moves out of the complex, you get fired, some eager newbie contractor takes 100 buck off the price and tries to be a hero and realizes after the first snowfall what a mistake it was taking on the client, and the circle continues... Condos and townhomes just dont fit my business model. I'm glad they fit other peoples, so they're not chasing my type of work.

6. PGLC

PGLC Junior Member

Thanks!

Thanks JohnnyRoyale - A buddy of mine in that used to do apts and condos said the same thing. If the price is right, I'll give it a shot but I may just spend my time with commercial accounts that don't get as personal.

Thanks everyone for your posts. They were an eye-opener and I appreciate the honesty. Good luck to everyone this coming snow season!!!

JohnnyRoyale Condos, townhomes, are a PITA. Especially owner occupied townhomes, where everyone pays maintenance and feels they have the right to Biatch everytime a flake hits the ground.

There is generally a board of directors, which nominates the biggest smarta$$ as PRESIDENTE, who has absolutely no clue as to whats what, and he takes the crap of the other owners, and usually has a nervous breakdown partway through the year, as he realizes his "so called solution" to his inferiority complex is actually working against him and hes actually now hated by his neighbours. He eventually moves out of the complex, you get fired, some eager newbie contractor takes 100 buck off the price and tries to be a hero and realizes after the first snowfall what a mistake it was taking on the client, and the circle continues... Condos and townhomes just dont fit my business model. I'm glad they fit other peoples, so they're not chasing my type of work.