1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help With A Western Mounting on 2500HD

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Bighammer, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Bighammer

Bighammer Member

Anybody got a picture of a Westen Unimount frame on a 2500 HD? I just got a setup from a friend with no hardware, wiring, or manuals. (just a frame mount and I think I understand where the bolts go into the frame, but do they go all the way thru and have a nut on the back? (seems like the tube of the frame would sort of crush:confused: ) Doesn't look like any way to get a nut inside the frame though.

Also it looks like there are 2 bolts that go towards the rear. Is there a bracket I'm missing?

If anybody has a digital camera and and a few minutes to enlighten me, I'd really appreciate it.

2. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Western Mounting

What year Chevy/GMC truck are you doing the install on?
    I have the install sheets but need that to look up what you need.

:rolleyes: John...............
  3. Bighammer

Bighammer Member

Thanks for the reply, but it's for a 94 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4.
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

The front half just bolts on with the bumper bracket bolts.

The rear half can be a pain,especially with the Cummins.They do have special bolts to prevent crushing the frame.The bolts go through from the inside,with the nuts on the outside.

You should have one large square tube,which is the piece which mounts up under the front bumper.Then there is a lower mount (which has the pin holes).There are two bars that come back off of that,and bolt onto the two rear frame brackets,with the two bolts that face rearward.

I could take pics of a few of our trucks,but someone stole my digital camera a while back.I'll have to dig through all my photos to see if I can find something which may help.Anyone have an old camera they don't want ?
  5. wyldman

wyldman Member

It might make it easier if you read the link below.It should tell you everything you need to know to install it,and figure out what pieces you are missing for the mount.It will also save me typin it all out here.You will need Adobe Acrobat reader,and give it a min or two to load.

If you need pieces,let me know,as I have some spare stuff for the 94-02 dodge mount kits.

Dodge 94-02 mount installation instructions
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2003
  6. Bighammer

Bighammer Member

Wyldman, thatnks a million. The link really helps. It looks like I'm missing the thrust arms at the rear of the frame. (No wonder I was not getting the picture :eek: ) Hopefully they aren't too $pendy. (I might not need to purchase their simple $200 wiring harness:eek: thanks to your wiring diagram)

Maybe I should just light the old stick welder and fab my own. We'll see.

Thanks again for a really big help.
  7. wyldman

wyldman Member

You could easily make your own wiring harness.It would be much simpler if you just add a simple toggle switch for the plow lights,instead of all the automatic switching relays that Western uses now.If you need any assistance in wiring something up,let me know.

I'll take a look around,and see if I have a set of the thrust arms in my spare parts.If not,they should be pretty easy to fab up.Be careful drilling on the drivers side,it's really tight,and stuff is easily damaged.

BTW - I just put two and two together,with your username and your Dodge Cummins.Are you the same bighammer on the TDR ? I'm over there sometimes as well,my username is bigramguy.
  8. GMC99

GMC99 Senior Member
    from 60188

I just installed a uni mount frame on my 2002 2500 (old body style) not sure if the installation instructions are the same but if you'd like I could scan them and e-mail them to you.
  9. Bighammer

Bighammer Member

Yup, that's me. I wrote a much longer reply, but it didn't quite work and got lost. :mad:

The wiring looks pretty simple. The thrust arms might be a bit more of a PIA.

I also have a (DSS) Darrin's Steering Stabilizer ordered so it migt be best to install that first. Might be able to create an attachment to that and increase its mounting area.
  10. wyldman

wyldman Member

The rear thrust arms aren't hard if you have a good drill,sharp bits\reamers,and some patience.Use an old piece of sheet metal on the backside of the frame to prevent damage when you drill.

I would install the DSS first (just loose),and then eyeball it to see if it will interfere with the plow mounting.I know a few guys had to do some mods to make it fit.You may be able to make some new thrust arms,which will solve your problems,and work with the DSS.

I checked,and I only have one spare set of thrust arms left,and would like to keep them as spares,or to mount my spare Western if I buy another Dodge.I could take pics,or get measurements of them if it helps you out at all.