1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help with a used plow

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by mrbb, Oct 31, 2015.

1. mrbb

mrbb Junior Member

OK I know of a guy selling a 2014 8ft Blizzard plow, it has a set up for a Ford f350
    BUT I have a 2006 dodge ram
    I don;t have exact model on the plow
    but its like NEW< owner said he used it 5 times to do his small drive way, and paid over 5500 for it in 2014
    I know very little about plows, so please bare with me

anyone know what it would costs to have set up on my truck?
    I do have a factory snow plow prep package, so THINK its a plug in deal with correct harness?
    and what would a fair price be on buying it used, knowing I have to pay to have it installed, as cannot do the work myself!((have back issue's)

appreciate the feedback and advice.suggestion
    so thanks in advance!
  2. mrbb

mrbb Junior Member

OK Its a model 8000hd
    if this helps
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Look at blizzards website to get the mount and wiring for your specific truck.
    That will give you part numbers and such. Then do a search for those part numbers to get an "idea" of price.
  4. mrbb

mrbb Junior Member

thanks but since I plan to take it to a place to have installed, MOST shops don't always like a customer bringing all parts in, they like to SELL you there parts and ensure its RIGHT for the work, before starting
    SO, I was wondering about ball park prices on what an install should run me
    and also, the good bad or ugly about this model plow
    and what a FAIR price is for it
    its like BRAND new to the eye,
    I just don't know anything really about this model or make to be honest!
  5. dieselss

You asked about prices, the best thing to do is find out for yourself what parts your getting installed and a ballpark of what they cost.
    So if the parts you find are about X price across the board and the dealer is charging you Y price, wouldn't you like to know why?
    All the electrical components are western/DD. So there all interchangeable. The plow itself is half predd and dd design.
  6. mrbb

mrbb Junior Member

I agree, but I also have NO idea what a fair install price IS
    so, if he told me he charges "X" for an install, I wouldn;t know if that was fair, high or low
    I follow your point about checking out parts prices first, and will look them up
    but still don't klnow whats a fair price on install, or value of a used plow
    My friend said he paid over 5500
    but seen then installed for like 4800
    so he MIGHT have over paid
    and doesn't mean I should LOL

and again I don't know if this a good plow a great plow or a so so plow

so, still looking for answer/s feedback or??
    and I do thank you for your input here
  7. dieselss

I wouldn't know what a fair install price is either, and no one will. We can ballpark it, but that's it.
    Answering the "is this a good plow" is opening up a can of worms. EVERYONE will have there own opinion....and you know what that means.
    If your so worried about "price" then shop around. Seems that's a theme you keep stating.
  8. mrbb

mrbb Junior Member

well all I was looking for was a ball park price, so??
    and YES I am looking around
    as I am ONLY buying a plow to help some older folks out I help.
    so, I am trying to NOT tie up more money into a plow than needed
    as I am NOT looking to plow for money, when I plow for these people its all on my dime
    and I am NOT a wealthy person, live on a fixed income to be honest
    SO, I need to spend my money as wisely as I can

so NOW as for if its a GOOD plow or bad
    yes we all have our likes and dislikes
    BUT there are always some KNOWN issue's with things, that can MAKE it a better item or NOT

SO< asking for a general idea if it is a OK plow, or one that has KNOWN issue's
    I would think is a fair question to ask, on a PLOW site
    as I came here figuring most longer members have a TON more experience than me with plows
    and can help me make a decision due to there knowledge(to be taken with a grain of slat as I know NOT all info is always correct and non biased information)

so like I said, I was looking for HELP as in the title of the tread ?
    wasn't hiding the fact I don't know a lot about plows!
    or my intentions for one!
  9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Truck side install 300 to 500.

Since that's including plow assembly, I would think 400. A whole NEW truck side parts are about 12/1400. I'm sure some of ur stuff is reusable. Figure 1000.
  10. dieselss

So if YOUR plowing FOR FREE then LOOK for a cheaper Plow.
  11. mrbb

mrbb Junior Member

OK thanks for the info
    and yes I am plowing for free for these people
    I have a tractor and loader at my place and don't need a plow for me . But these are long time friends in there 80's on fixed LOW income and I been helping them all my life
    I only plow for them when there neighbors don't
    I , have been loading up a tractor or skid steer towing it to there place and using that
    I am just getting tired of all the extra steps of trailering something there, one lives about 30 miles from me one way, which is the farthest I would be going
    I just figured a newer plow would have less down time or surprises for me, so , IF I am going to buy a plow I want one that I can kind of count on when needed
    and I am ONLY buying if I can find a GOOD deal on one
    its NOT a must have item for me
    I'm a nice guy trying t help people that cannot do it themselves, that have been like family to me, hell maybe better than family LOL

so again, thanks for the feed back I guess I will pass on this plow, and look for a maybe take off , off same yr/model truck I have
    to make things more easy for me??
  12. halfkeck

halfkeck Junior Member

it's rare to see the exact truck make model plow set up that you need for sale. Personally I have bought older very well maintained straight plows and with all the wiring mount and install will be well under 3k. Another thought is to watch Craigslist and buy an older truck with plow mounted. I bought a complete low mileage truck for less than you are quoting for the plow and it worked like a champ for the two years I have had it. The rust will make for some repairs long before any serious mechanical issues will
  13. mrbb

mrbb Junior Member

Well from. What I understand, my truck, mounts will fit from 2003 to 2008, so that should up my odds of maybe finding a take off set up.
    Next, I am not looking for another truck with a plow, vehicles here take a beating with road salt, so any in decent shape, tend to be more than a plow,
    and I donqt want to be doing repairs to a truck, I know what mine is, and not wanting to find out after I buy a used truck hidden problems or breaks downs as.
    I get the idea, but another truck is, more expenceex pence, insurance, storage inspections, up keep.
    Not a road I want to go down,
    I am in NO rush to buy a plow, can do as I been if need be, its just an option I hope can pan out. To find a plow for my truck for a good deal, or hell love to trade a tractor or an old truck I have for one too.
    which I feel is a fair trade, as both should be worth what a decent plow set up should run me