1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with a solinoid question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by nwilson1211, Dec 8, 2011.

1. nwilson1211

nwilson1211 Junior Member

Hi guys, I just installed an older (1997 maybe?) western Uni-Mount straight blade on my 03 Excursion. The plow functions great, however I think I have an issue with the solinoid. I am not using western's brand of motor relay as they call it, but in the past solinoids off the shelf at the autoparts store have worked great on my other, older plows. This plow the solinoid will come and go work for a while, then maybe nothing. This is a real pain as when it gets stuck - I have to leave the cab, pop the hood, tap the solinoid a couple three times and we are good to go for a bit longer. I have a friend that will be going to Knapehide soon to pick up parts for his plows and I have asked him to pick me up a Western 'motor relay' - hopefully that will do the trick. What do you think? Am I missing something? All grounds are good and solid, it just seems to be an internal function on the solinoid where the contactors don't always want to make contact.

Thanks!

Happy Plowing!

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

what kinda of solenoid do you have in there now??? is it a bigger one or a small one?
    just b/c it says western on it, doesnt make it better.

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Ya you got a bad solenoid, you dont have to use a Western solenoid .

4. nwilson1211

nwilson1211 Junior Member

Thanks guys, I suspected it might be bad - its just ironic that this is the 2nd new one that I installed as the first one was completely dead. Since my last post, I have driven the truck on a few errands just to make sure that I had no other issues, and didn't have any problems. Maybe the contacts had to loosen up or something. I am still going to pick up a western even if this keeps working so I can keep a spare on the truck. I just didn't want to have to be that guy under the hood during a storm beating on the solenoid.

THANKS!!!