1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with a salter

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Mowey9, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Mowey9

Mowey9 Member
    from Iowa

I have been looking around for a spreader and found one for $200. The guy says that its a Super Flow spreader, but I have not been able to find out where I can get parts for this. I'm not real sure who actually makes this spreader. The guy said that it may need a new motor. Do you think that it would be worth the purchase and the time to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.
    Aaron

2. John from OH

John from OH Member

I believe the Super Flo is a generic Buyers. Parts for the most part are interchangeable with Buyers and early Meyers Tailgate spreaders. The motor will cost you about $150 for a cheap import. Most of the import motors are throw aways because they have poor or no gaskets/ seals in them and will fill up with water after a few uses. A good sealed motor will run in the neighborhood of $300. Also plan on replacing the hub, ($20), it will probably be rusted so bad you won't be able to get the set screw out. Does it come with the wiring harness and control box? If not, figure on another $250-$300. What about mounting brackets? If it is complete and just needs a motor you might offer $150 or a little less. Central Parts used to sell new Super Flos for less than a grand. At the low cost for an entry level spreader, you would probably be better off with new. You would have a dependable unit without repairs for several seasons if you take care of it.

3. Mowey9

Mowey9 Member
    from Iowa

thanks

Hey John thanks for the help. I went to Central Parts website but I was not able to find them there. Yes the spreader comes with all the mounting hardware, wiring, and control boxes, he just says that it might need a motor. Do you think a new buyers motor will work. Any more help would be greatly appreciated.
    Aaron

4. John from OH

John from OH Member

According to Central's catalog, you'll need part #TGS0007 which fits Buyers, Meyers, and Swenson. It list for $199.95.

5. Mowey9

Mowey9 Member
    from Iowa

Thanks again

Thanks again John. I think I need to get a hard copy of central parts catalog. With your help I think I might look for something a little newer or brand new. I just can't seem to come up with the money yet. Thanks again.
    Aaron