1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help With a Residential Quote

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bullettooth81, Sep 9, 2010.

1. bullettooth81

bullettooth81 Senior Member

Ok, I typically do city driveways and small parking lots. I haven't had a driveway like this yet and thought I'd ask some advice.

Two seperate residences, owned by the same person. One is rented out as a 'cabin' with a two car garage and a seperate driveway, while the main house has a three car garage with its own driveway as well. The two driveways connect at the garages. This place is on a lake and about 5-7 miles out of town.

The owner wants a price per push for the whole winter, and a seperate price for an 'on call' only. The owners travel during the winter and if they are there, they may take care of the snow themselves. Apparently they have a walk behind snowblower that they used last year, must have taken them 3-4 hours with that!!

I'll be using a 9' straight blade on my 2500 GMC.

Any input would be appreciated.

P9090004.jpg

P9090008.jpg

P9090003.jpg

2. keitha

keitha Senior Member

I can see that on call... they've been gone weeks and suddenly call,
    "we'll be home tomorrow can you open us up?"
    Nasty refrozen mess to try and open up.

Good luck!
    Keith

3. bullettooth81

That's my concern too.

4. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Give him a per push price, and make your on call price triple that. Our seasonal price for that would be around 550.00, and a on call price would be 75.00 with no guarantees when it can get done.

5. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

2 or 2.5 times whatever you would charge for your standard residential drive way.
    Its probably going to be easier then doing 2 drives seperatly casue you have more room to move but its also sounds/looks like a bit more then 2 drives cause of the link between.

as for the oncall. double or triple that price and no guarentees on when

the thing that will help you sell this job would be to get them as a seasonal 1 price, unlimited plowing.

"with seasonal you will always have it clean and no one will know that your not home and if anyone is staying in the cabin they wont have to worry"
    they will be able to come home at anytime and it will be clean, ontop they can pay you in a few equal payments, and maybe they could even rent out the cabin more.

neige does a very high volume of snow, his price might be a little low compared to what you do but he does have a huge operation so he must be doing something right ;)

6. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

without regard to the actual drive way itself , might it be best to just pass on it or at the very least explain to them that their request is not a resonable one to the type of service a profesional "snow fighter" should provide. Remember you make your living this way, one could starve to death waiting for the will call. Thats what I'd do anyway, good luck w/ that

7. bullettooth81

I agree. I'm either going to price out the on-call option, or drop it all together (probably drop it). I'm thinking in the $70/push range.

I've honestly never done a seasonal. What would you recommend? Average snowfall in this area is around 40" with about 15 plowable events, many due to wind/drifting.

15 x $70 would put me around $1000 for the season.

8. bullettooth81

Thanks for the input everybody. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't completely off base.

This is my first season in this area and want to make a good impression as well as pick up enough clients to make it worth my while.

9. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

well, as you could probably tell from my previous posts', I don't do seasonal, and won't (my loss). In this case that(seasonal) would be best cuz you get the regular money and you don't have a frikin frozen rutted up mess to beat your way through.