1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with a problem on a Saturn

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by buckwheat_la, Sep 23, 2011.

1. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

The girlfriend has a problem with her Saturn. Seems that at random the key gets locked in the ignition, and when I say locked, I mean sometimes you can't get it out, sometimes you can't even turn off the car. It has been to the dealer numerous times, as it had a extended warantee. They have replaced tumblers, sensors, the shifter sensor, cut new keys. This last time they said there is nothing else to replace, and yesterday it did it again. Does anyone have some thoughts on this?

2. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

Can't really offer any help but a woman I work with has the same exact problem. Key switch was replaced a few months ago and it's now doing it again. It sounds and feels to me like it's the safety lock for the wheel/transmission.

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Auto or stick? I ask because auto has a cable that goes from shifter to column to allow you to turn lock cylinder to allow key removal. Now I have never worked on one in a saturn but this is where I would start looking. Also most cars with floor shift have a small hole in the column under the key cylinder to manually bypass this locking feature.

I worked on a Pontiac not long ago where this device was electronic, dealer had replaced the switch, actuator and lock cylinder. none fixed it. Turned out to be broken wire in one of the connectors.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  4. buckwheat_la

It is a automatic, and it is all electric here too. Interesting about the broken wire in one of the connectors though, great idea there.

5. kimber750

Only other thing I can think of is a bad ignition switch. The ignition is normally mounted down on the column and has linkage that operates it from the lock cylinder. If something is binding or the switch itself is damaged can make it difficult to turn the lock cylinder.

Older Chevys used to have an issue with tilt mechanism come loose, steering wheel flopping around. When it got bad enough it could actually turn the vehicle off. :mechanic:

6. buckwheat_la

I remember those days, lol. All of that stuff has been replaced, numerous times actually.

7. kimber750

Can't think of anything else, try looking for the small hole under the lock cylinder. If it is there and allows the lock cylinder to work properly then you can go from there.

Good luck and let me know how you make out.