1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with a price

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sullycape, Nov 5, 2011.

1. sullycape

sullycape Junior Member
    from 02664

I have a small time, mostly residential plowing business and yesterday I was asked to bid on a neighborhood association. I counted out the driveways at 55. Normally driveways this size would be about $30, since they are small, some only the length of a car or two, a few at 30 feet. They want a per push price at 3 inches, done by 6 am, a price to come back should more snow fall, and a price to come back if the town plows the lots in. The short walk ways need to be cleared, as do the mailbox areas. I am assuming they would want a pretty big discount for buying in bulk which I am willing to do. I guess my question is does anyone have an account like this with three prices, normally I set a base price and charge $5 an inch over that amount in case of a blizzard or heavy storm. How much of a discount could they be looking for?

Any thoughts?

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

If you have the right equipment, You could look at somewhere around the 15 dollars per drive mark, and still do very well. With a compact tractor and a blower you should be in and out of those 55 drives in about 2 hours.

3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

$25 mimimum. Try pitching them $250 each for the season. That's $13,750.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  4. sullycape

sullycape Junior Member
    from 02664

I have a Chevy P/U with a 7'6 plow and a snow blower but don't you think $15.00 each is a little light? I don't want to be known as the guy who under cuts every one. I was thinking more along the lines of $19 each.

5. sullycape

sullycape Junior Member
    from 02664

I don't think a seasonal price is what they are looking for since it is possible that it not snow here all year, or only snow a few times.

6. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

Are u doing all 55 by yourself? If it took you 2-5 mins per driveway, That's about 4.5 hrs to plow all 55.That's if you have someone else shoveling.

7. sullycape

sullycape Junior Member
    from 02664

I usually work by myself but it looks like I may need some help, I figured near 6 hours by myself or 7 minutes each, which is about 175 an hour, not bad.

8. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

If you really think you'll get the bid, I would find a sub to help plow and another 2 guys shoveling or blowing. Then you can be in and out within 2 hrs or so. You pay your sub and helpers by the hour.
    I mean think about it, do you really want to plow 55 drives with a 7.5' straight blade. Then shovel. Then try to get to your normal residentials in a descent time. What do you do when it starts snowing at 2am and you have 4-5" by 4am? And these people need to be buffed up by 6am. And it takes you 6 hrs by yourself. Your gunna drive yourself crazy in a big storm. If you think you can handle it, more power to ya. Oh yeah, Where do you live where it might only snow a couple times?

9. sullycape

sullycape Junior Member
    from 02664

I live on Cape Cod, some years we get killed, some years it's rains. I also put a blizzard clause into the contract so in case of a very big storm the 6 am deadline is suspended.

10. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

Also, I hope your insured. The homeowners association will probably require that, and besides you should be anyway if your taking on that much. Good luck dude.

11. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

Suspended to when? Whenever you can get there?

12. sullycape

sullycape Junior Member
    from 02664

Yea pretty much, we have had storms here where you can't even get down the roads because the town hasn't plowed enough of them yet. I don't want to be held to something I cannot control.

13. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Then do away with the 6 am promise part of the bid. 55 driveways is a lot and you could have 3 inches dumped in a couple of hours and you just got started at 5 am. What if the truck won't start or the plow won't work and you only have a couple of hours until 6 am? Time frames just invite Murphy's Law to the table. I never had trouble getting around unplowed roads with 12+ inches while plowing driveways, so I wouldn't offer that as an excuse. You are a snow plowing expert, so telling them you can't get there because the town didn't plow the roads won't go over well.