1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with a large resi and pvt rd

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by turbo38sfi, Oct 29, 2007.

1. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Need some help bidding a large residential private way and 2 driveways. The average 2 car driveway is about $35 up here in my neck of the woods.

I'm quoting this U shaped private way with 2 houses on it each with larger driveways. The total horseshoe is about 800-1000 linear feet long of dirt road. Then there is 2 houses. Each with a large paved driveway about 225 ft long which opens up to a larger 3-4 far area near the garage. No sanding, plow only. They want it per push and not a yearly contract.

If it were only the house alone the job would be a $50 plow easily. So since it's 2 houses plus the private road I gotta figure $125 per push under 8" and 175 over. I just don't know how much a resident is going to pay for plowing.

I normally have just a bunch of $35 jobbies but am getting more larger and commercial jobs this year so I'm learning.

Thanks!

2. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I dont know that I would do an over 8" just one price. Sounds correct to me. They will probably split the bill, so look at it what would you plow the road for $25? You said $50 and $50 plus the road. Consider your time... and figure out what you like to make an hour. I only do commercial but you said you were getting 35 per driveway so you can justify it as more work then 3 driveways.

3. MIDTOWNPC

my plow calculator

1000FT Plus 225 FT linear (1225) by what 12 ft wide?

Plow times for a
    Truck With 8' Plow
    Depth.....Time To Plow
    2"-4" 0:36
    4"-6" 1:21

I would say on average it will take an hour, if you took your time, but I go by the rate that no one pays me more to go faster. Hope that helps a little

4. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

The road itself is probably a 10ft wide road or so. More like a path in the woods to get to the house.

I threw out 35 per drive and 50 for the road for a total of 120 and plus 40 over 8".

They bit. Haven't gotten it signed yet but she was not shocked at the 120 figure which was good.

5. MIDTOWNPC

good. now follow up and get it signed and go get some more. always mention if they here of anyone to drop your name and mention they refered you. referals are the best.

6. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

That's what I'm hoping to do. I just got a small condo/townhouse seasonal job. I bid it low but it's a 30 ft 2 car wide driveway. Take me 10 minutes tops. I bid it low and got it cause it's at the beginning of one of those large condo neighborhoods. Told him 250/season and 200 if I could put a sign out on his lawn figuring the advertising alone would make up for the low price. He was all over it. We only got 6 plowable events last yr so it won't be bad.

I've got one large commercial already in the bag and signed which paid for my snowway sander and 5 resi's so far. I'm shooting for 10 this year.

Hoping for some snow now!:redbounce