1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with a development!

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by BOSSMAN21, Sep 20, 2009.

1. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

Ok, here it is guys. I need help with pricing on a Dirt Road development. In and out will be 6.3 miles, because I tried it out today....lol. Also, I will be doing sanding on the road, and the guy who did it last dear got $500 per storm. Does this sound close? I was also told that the guy did a horrible job last year, they hope to change that so what do you think, same price, or raise or lower?

2. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

So its 3 miles + of double lane dirt road? Maybe 30' wide? Sloped or flat? Whats your trigger amount?. Salt/ sand at each pass? Take into consideration that your going into a hostile environment (they bash the guy from last year). Sounds like a decent price but without more info it's just a guess.

3. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

Sorry I guess I should have been more informative. Yes it is Double laned, it has maybe one small hill. The Trigger amount is 6 inches. Yes sanding both lanes.

4. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

With a 6" trigger you should plow by the hour. JMO. 6" of powder is one thing but 6" of New England concrete snow will take a long time to clear. How's the surface of the road? Can you move along at a decent speed and windrow or is it all chopped up? Can you make $500 or more somewhere else in the time it'll take to dedicate to the road?

5. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

The road is decent. It has it's places where its chopped up and rough but then it has places that are flat and in great condition. The only thing I may have to do is hire a guy with a wing truck every 5-6 storms to wing it back.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like good money to me. You should be planning to dump a full hopper of sand in there. Plenty of profit. Sounds like if you do a good job, you will probably be able to keep the account. Are you doing the drives too, or just the road? And who's paying, and how do they pay? Maybe they ripped off the guy last year.

7. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

My company does the plowing for many "private roads" which are not maintained by townships. They are mostly smaller exclusive housing areas with much less road than you are talking about. In the past, I've been involved with ones nearly as big as the one you are bidding, and I can tell you this... 6+ miles of road is easy to lose control of in a severe storm, unless you have equipment which is dedicated to just that job. I'm not sure if it snows where you are the way it does in upstate NY, but a road like that around here can become impassible if you don't babysit it during a bad storm. Drifting is another consideration... nothing like having a truck jammed in a drift 4 miles down a snowy road. The six inch thing can get ya also, assuming you leave it alone on the three or four inch snow events, then it gets driven on, a few thaws, tire ruts etc., before you know it, it's 6 miles of *****. Anyway, I'm not trying to discourage you... just a few thoughts. If you can make the same $ elsewhere in the same amount of time... I'd pass. Just my two cents.

Oh, and just like someone else said... it definitely is a red flag for me when they're bitching about the last guy!!:rolleyes:

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Three inches of snow, he should be able to keep it open in less than a half hour. Not much hourly done up here. Per push or seasonal.

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I can't believe anyone has a 6" trigger. If it snows 4" on Monday and then 4" on Wed and you never plow by the time it snows 6" it is going to be a disaster. I do a couple of Townhouse roads and by the time you are pushing 4" that has been driven on you are working the truck pretty good and mine are all paved.

10. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I would match the price, but work to get a lower trigger if possible.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Whoops, didn't really see the six inch trigger. Stay away from that disaster. You have to plow that road every storm. Whether it's 2 inches or 12 inches. Tell them you'll do it for the season for 8 or 10 grand.

12. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Just wondering if someone else handles it when it's under 6"? I can't imagine the road going unplowed through a bunch of 3-4" or maybe a 5" storm! You guys are right it would be a monster task to plow after being driven on through those.

13. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

Ok guys. I talked to the President of the commity who maintains the road. I told him about the 6 inch trigger being a problem. He said gosh that must be why the road was terrible las year. I explained that people driving over 3-4 inches creats traps and ice. He said I thought that was what sanding was for. I said no, sanding is for Ice buildup in the road not for unplowed snow. He said that he would go for a 3 inch trigger. That is where we stand, he said he would Catch up with me to discuss price.

14. cleansweep007

cleansweep007 Senior Member

A 3 inch trigger still sounds rather high. You are going to have one huge mess on your hands. In my neck of woods its a 1 inch trigger no matter what ! Can't take a chance with some jack a## being running into some one or falling. Make sure you are insured !!

15. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Hey Scott, they're right, 3" is still too high, especially for the road your looking at. That road is ok but not anything special. There are quite a few rocks/rough areas and several tough spots. The only way to do a road like that is on a seasonal contract (in the price range we discussed the other day - probably a little higher) with you making the decision when to plow. Plowing on a "per storm" basis always results in problems with these types of places. It's always a situation of "you plow too often" aka you're charging too much. Do not accept anything more than a 2" trigger.

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Pretty much every event that road needs plowing and/or treatment. You can follow the town. If they plow, you plow. If they sand, you sand.

17. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Very good advice here for you here Scott.