1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help With A Bid!!!!

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by All Season Lawn, Oct 18, 2007.

1. All Season Lawn

All Season Lawn Member

I have a chance to bid on a private drive that is a 1/4 mile long lots of places to push snow i will be using a 3/4 ton with a 7'6 straight plow and a 7'6 on the back. they want a bid for by the push and also full season. also they want a totally separate bid with 14 houses all double drives (all straight) under 60 foot each. for both bids its plow with 2 inches or more. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    thanks!

2. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

For the 1/4 drive I would say $70 and for the drives $30 a piece. Thats just what I would do totally up to you. Good luck Mike

3. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Come up with an hour rate.

14 dirves @ 10 mins each = 140 min or 2.3 hours

The road, how long dose it take to to drive it, thats how long it will take to plow.

4. All Season Lawn

All Season Lawn Member

thanks for the help so far any one else out there give me there $0.02

5. All Season Lawn

All Season Lawn Member

any other help out there your input would be great
    thanks

6. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

I would do a per price ,like I said up top, i dont like hourly. In a sense I want to know exactly what im getting for each drive, a per driveway push. But thats just me, hourly is ok as well again its totally up to you. Hope this helps. Mike

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I base private roads on a base of $130 per mile; then add for curves and hills. For seasonal, figure out how many times you'd push on average for the winter and add a couple. Then multiply by your per push cost. (Add a couple because you're going to find they want plowed more often once they have a seasonal rate). Figure your driveways at the rate you would give if you didn't have the road. Now, you're prepared to deal IF you have a contract for the road and all the driveways, plus only one person to deal with for all the areas. If you have to deal with each resident - no dealing. What's to stop one or more from just not paying or firing you or just being a Pain (note the capital "p") or one or two wanting plowed at a deeper or lower depth than the others? Believe me, you wind up going over and plow that one just to shut them up. Then, if you get the driveways but not the road, now you'll have to coordinate plowing with the other guy - more problems. But don't plow the driveways until the road has been plowed and don't plow the road in order to get to your driveways. No matter what you do, you're going to lose unless you've got the road, too. So, make the driveway bid contingent on getting the road bid.

8. All Season Lawn

All Season Lawn Member

thanks for the replies greatly appreciated payup

9. fleet

fleet Junior Member

If its a straight shot and you can push it quick on the big 1/4 mile one ( less than 5 min) i would hit them for at least 35-40/trip or 495 for the season with a max of 20 then hit them for 15-18each trip( be sure to put in a storm clause in your contract for all driveways). On double driveways my minimum is about 30 but if you get multiple and they are all close i'm sure you can cut that. I set it up so my general Gross fee for my time spent plowing is 250.00- 275.00 an hour including all. On a bad year (lots of snow 200+ inches) my gross per hr has gone down to 200.00 an hour but never less.( NOTE--I never plow by the hour and its crazy too) After deducting all cost and wear and tear, theres not two many places where you net high hundreds/low 200s an hour.( i wish it snowed all the time!!!! I do about 40-50 driveways a year and a few smaller parking lots. I push a LIMITED season contract with a MAX of 20. It cuts down on all the billing crap.. If they do take a per trip charge contract...Its steeper than most and i always collect 10 nonrefundable upfront trips to lock in service.

10. All Season Lawn

All Season Lawn Member

thanks for the help:redbounce

11. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

wow it sounds like you got it figured out i would like to make 200+ but thats not poss. here

my advice is pretty much the same ol' bs i don't do alot of drives but i picked up a whole HOA today i got all the drives and through in the road but not salt, the drives are $75-100apeice and the salt is $300

12. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

I did one last year, it was about that long, was gravel except for up by the house. It had a turn around by the house also. It ran between two corn fields, would sometimes get some pretty good drifts, Usually took me about a half hour. I had a price in mind of around $90, the lady told me that wasn't enough because it was a hard job, and that she had always paid a farmer to do it with his tractor $175, so we settled on $150, and I just plowed it on an as needed basis (she'd call when she wanted it done).