1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with a bid

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wakesetter2001, Oct 3, 2007.

1. wakesetter2001

wakesetter2001 Member

I am looking at bidding a Resort village mall, Just wondering how anyone would bid it, by the hour, by the push or any others. I am going to GPS it later this week to get sq footage, all I have to do is the parking lots, all sidewalks are done by maintenance crews, there is no salting or sanding. I have a truck plow, and a skid steer. I am thinking about renting a front end loader for the season. These lots are very straight forward and have a lot of places to stack snow. I will post the footage and would like to see what anyone else would charge for this. Is there any other factors I am missing? Any and all help is appreciated.

2. wakesetter2001

wakesetter2001 Member

Well I walked the entire place today, The SQ' is 312911. After looking into rental on front end loaders I will not be renting one. 8500.00 a month is a little steep. I am thinking I can do it with the pick up and 2 skid steers. I am thinking that the bid is going to be somewhere in the $2000 per push range with a 4" trigger. What would anyone else charge to do this property. Am I way off or in the ballpark.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

312911 sq ft is just over seven acres. How big of pushers are you going to put pushers on those skid steers? How many lots are there? Is the snow going to be trucked off-site?

4. GSE

GSE Senior Member

$8500/mo for a wheel loader?? I'd check a few more sources. You should be able to get a wheel loader for around $3K/mo, at least in this market. Even a TLB with a 12' pusher would be fine for 7 acres.

If you go the skid steer route, do yourself a favor and use 2 speed machines.

Also, a 4" trigger seems high to me as well, but again, maybe that's the market there. And why no salt?

5. wakesetter2001

wakesetter2001 Member

All of the lots more or less run together with just some small norrowings as they move around the mall. I am going to look into other rental on loaders but from my experience all the places around me are about the same price. I am researching pushers for the skid steers but have no good leads yet. None of the snow has to be trucked off and there are numerous places to stack. I also don't agree with the 4" trigger but that is what they say that it has always been. Around here salt is not very common and they do the sidewalks so I don't have to worry about it.

6. wakesetter2001

wakesetter2001 Member

Still hoping for some help!!!!!!!!!

7. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

Its kind of hard to give you good advice with out seeing the site. If you could post a oic then we could lead you in the right direction. good luck:drinkup:

8. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

lot

hi i dont care what it looks like i would just do it by the hour, per machine hour i don't know if thats a direct enough opinion or not LOL

9. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

with one truck and 2 big skids with 9-11" angle plows pushing 4" inches on a seven acre lot would take us about 8 hours to do a good clean job. our rate is $50 per hour @ 24hrs =$1200 (we usually pad several hours to make up for the LOW market price). your rate is probably $100 per hour @ 24 hrs=$2400 hope this helps.

10. GSE

GSE Senior Member

Without seeing the site, knowing your market and your costs no one can give you a hard number to work with.

You need to determine your cost per hour. You need to determine what margin you want to make per hour based on your costs and what your market will bare. Then you need determine your production rates and determine how long it will take to plow, keeping in mind you will need to plow with the storm to keep the place open and then do your clean up. Multiply your hourly rate by your estimated time per storm and then multiply that by your area's average number of snow storms.

11. wakesetter2001

wakesetter2001 Member

Thanks for your comments.
    Jay your numbers are almost idintical to what I just figured after sitting down and really going over things. I just have never bid such a large area. I usally do smaller parking losts. I just took my smll losts and figured out sq foot of them then did the math. Any other comments? Also where does anyone get a good deal on rental of front end loaders?

12. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

Go on the net and check out loader/pusher rentals. Many companies are pretty much nationwide for rental/leasing,though you will have to pay extra for delivery. In my area a 924 cat with a 14' pusher will run around 4,000 per month, but that is also having your equipment reserved by sept.1st. If you are to take slip and fall liability a 4" trigger is way to much. If you start plowing at 4" and the snow is still coming down during a major event, you are really going to have some push problems, as well as some very unhappy clients when the lots are plugged up with stuck vehicles. Good luck to you, you will get er!!