1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with a bid please

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rbljack, Feb 6, 2014.

1. rbljack

rbljack Member
    from Texas

Hello everyone, been a member over at lawnsite for years, and have recently been asked by a business to provide some snow/ice removal services. Here in this part of texas, we don't see a LOT of snow and ice like up north, but it happens. I have put down salt/ice melt for them and figured out an appropriate amount for that on my own. BUT....now they asked if I would do more.

I realize everyone has different prices and its a regional thing, but I really need some help on this one. Because this type of work is new to me, I don't really know the proper way to price this stuff. Let me break down the numbers and hopefully a few of you can chime in on what you would charge:

I don't have a plow, bobcat, etc, so all of this will be shovel work, OR a snowblower which I will probably buy. They want the quote to read something like X amount for 1-3 inches, y amount for 4-6 inches, etc.

Here is the work entailed:
    Remove snow and ice from the sidewalks, islands, and handicap spots so they are clear after a storm. There is approximately 3500 square feet of sidewalks, and handi cap, and islands.

Additionally, they want snow and ice accumulations removed from the drive through lane which is another 3500 sq feet of space. Using a snow blower is possible, and there is a good clear area to throw the snow into without worry of windows, cars, etc. The problem is that last time we got precip, it was ALL ice, so a snow blower would have been useless. It would mean that id be chipping and scraping that off with a shovel for now....UGGG. I do have a weed eater torch and propane and was wondering if that might help too when the icy conditions hit. Never tried it, but seems like a viable option.

Now, ill be doing more searching on here tonight, and reading, but in the meantime I have to get to my OTHER job...LOL...so if I can get some assistance on bids for this, id really appreciate it. A bid for up to 3 inches, another bid for up to 6, and then any other info that yall feel would be applicable would be VERY helpful. Not sure how the "trigger" system works exactly either, so Ill be reading more on that tonight also.

Thanks yall, and hope the money is coming in for everyone during this rough winter!
  2. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

Charge for whatever snow you remove (1-3, 4-6) and then charge separate for salt per ton/pound to remove the ice.

Salt every time and just factor how much salt will cost per time and include that in your per event pricing.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  3. rbljack

rbljack Member
    from Texas

for sidewalk work, do yall figure cost of bid out by sq footage and depth of snow? Its typically going to be shovel or snow blower work im guessing. If you can provide some pricing guidelines it would be helpful. For those hesitant to post prices, I also understand that too. PM's appreciated. whateve advice I can get. I don't want to bid this too low. Snow and ice removal is hard work, and without the bigger equipment, I realize its going to be a challenge.
  4. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

There is no magic number the best thing to do is just figure out how long it will take you , your cost + what you want to make.

If a 2 inch snow takes you 5 hours to to remove figure out your hard cost + profit and you have the event price.

Factor in something for repairs, and business costs.

If you want to make $50 a hour and it takes 5 hours it would be $250. Then include the salt cost and time to spread and add it to the equation.