1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with 93 150 starter

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by BPK63, Oct 14, 2011.

1. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

At least I'm pretty sure it's the starter. I put a new heavy duty battery in 4 months ago. Last night I turn the key and just get a loud click. I can pop start it no problem. When I get the loud click the brake light comes on, almost like a short or maybe it's siezed? Like I said I can pop start it and it fires right up.

2. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

It's probably the starter solenoid on the the inside of the passenger fender. They're super common to go out, easy to diagnose and cheap to replace. I'm sure if you google "jump Ford starter solenoid" you'll come up with a million results. Good luck.

3. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

Thanks for the tip. I put a remote starter switch on that fender selenoid and it has power to the other side when I hit the switch. I looked down and was able to see the starter in the daylight and it looks pretty badly rusted. Would of been nice if I could of just changed that selenoid. I guess I'll be underneath tomorrow and hopefully can get it off ok.

4. rick502

rick502 Member
    from Vermont

Are you just checking output with test light? If so the solenoid could still be bad, its completing the circuit but isn't delivering enough amps to turn starter. Worth checking as fender solenoid is under 10 bucks and a 5 minute job to change.