1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with 6.9L diesel!!!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Dig-it Landscap, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Dig-it Landscap

Dig-it Landscap Member

i bought a 1986 f350 dually 2wd with a 6.9L diesel and a C-6 auto tranny. I got the truck for 500 so i didn't expect much but it was in great condition for 500 dollars. ok my problem is that it isn't getting fuel. it cranks fine and is getting air fine and will fire with a little ether (just 1 shot). we have been looking at everything. the fuel pump is pumping because there is pressure in the return line. i tried to bleed the injectors but nothing was coming out (tried several times). I am thinking that the fuel shutoff soleniod isn't working right. I checked and it has power going to it. i don't know what to do. i'm afraid if i keep trying i will either burn up the starter or the fuel pump. i give them plenty of time to cool between each try. i put fresh fuel in it with de-icer in case the lines gelled because it set still for 2 years. the lines aren't broken. i also put on a new filter filled with fresh fuel. has anyone had this happen? any suggestions are more than welcome. if any one needs more info. let me know. Please help me.
  2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

If it is firing after you shoot it with either it sounds like your glow plugs aren't working properly. I would suspec them or the relay that triggers the plugs. I am not certain where the GPR (glow plug relay) is on the 6.9 but I am certain you have one. It should look like a starter relay on an older ford.
  3. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

I would say as long as you are getting pressure in the return lines, then it isn't fuel related. I second the notion on the glow plugs. I'd start with testing all of the glowplugs. Hook up a a ohm meter to each plug and the negative on the battery. I think they are supposed to read less than 1 or 2 ohms when cold. If you need to replace any, you might as well replace them all. Go to Autozone and get part ZD-9, which are motorcraft brand. they are just about the best brand, and cheaper than the dealer. I always throw some never-seize on the threads when I put them in, so they come out easier next time. Next, look at your GP relay, which is on the back of the driver's side head. It is screwed in the head, cylinder in shape, with a wireharness on top. They run about $130. They go bad periodically on the 6.9's. I've had 2 6.9's, so I know a bit about them. Try these two things, and that should take care of the problem. After this, you should be able to start fine in below freezing weather!
  4. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Is it running OK once you fire it up on ether? Ok it will just pop over and die?
    Sounds to me like its not running at all.

If fuel is not getting to the injectors, its either the injection pump or simply the fuel shutoff on the pump. You said the solenoid is getting power, so it sounds like an internal pump problem. You don't want to try and repair these - they are not easy to do and require special tools and a test bench. These older rotary injection pumps wear out over time and can be easily killed by water and contaminants in the fuel. If the truck has a ton of miles and this is the original pump, it was probably ready to die anyway. Go to a Stanadyne repair shop for a new or rebuilt unit. See if you can get directions on how to remove install and time the new pump before you rip it apart (I can't remember how to align the drive gear, etc).

Oh - don't forget to flush you fuel system and replace the filters.