1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

help with 4x4

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Paintslinger, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Paintslinger

Paintslinger Junior Member

I need a little help with trying to get to the shift fork in the front axle is it a big job? I dont know if its even the problem!!!the 4x4 dont want to engage like it should and I was told it my be in the shift fork in the axle.any guesses???or help??? thanks
  2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Tell us about the truck.... Year model....
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

In order to get to the fork and the sliding collar on your '02 HD you'll need to remove the passenger side differential tube and axle assembly. First, remove the bolts that hold the pass side half shaft to the end of the axle flange. Then remove the two large bolts that hold the axle tube to the frame.Then just unbolt the axle tube from the side of the aluminum differential housing and pull the whole works down out of the truck. NOTE: When you pull the axle tube away from the diff housing,the thrust washer and a spring will fall out of the shift cavity on the side of the diff so be ready for it so you don't lose them.