1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help With 4wd On 2003 F150!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by RYDER, Jan 14, 2007.

1. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

I have a 2003 F150 5.4lt v8 FX4 autotrans with the 4wd shifter on the floor. It is gettig harder to pull and push the 4wd shifter. What do I need to do to make it easier to shift in and out of 4wd?:realmad:

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You need to check the fluid level in the transfer case as soon as possible. When the level get's low the shifter will get hard to move. Not all that uncommon either.I've seen many T-case's destroyed beond repair because no one bothered to check the fluid level until it was too late.

3. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

It has been a long time since I had a 4wd is it gear lube in there or is it something else?

4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

check your manual.

5. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

check the trans case fluid. Then make sure there is nothing obstructing the linkage under the truck. Maybe after that, consider lubing the linkage a little.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It should take Mercon transmission fluid but check you manual to be positive. It will not take gear lube.

7. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

I bought the truck used and it did not come with a manual, But thanks for the quick response.:)

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No probelm, good luck with it, hope it's nothing major.....or expensive! jcser made a good point too, give the shift linkage a good look and lube while your under there.

9. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Ryder, If you cant figure it out, let me know. I have a certified mechanic friend, right in Lowell! He can help you out if need be