1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with 2002 Dodge purchase

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by NoFearDeere, Apr 30, 2006.

1. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I am looking at a 2002 Dodge 2500 QuadCab shortbox, Cummins Diesel with 106,000 miles on it. I just am a little worried about that 106,000 miles on the truck.....What does everyone else think? The truck looks brand new...perfect inside and out. Should I be worried about the truck or not? Any help is appreciated. By the way, the VIN # is ---- 3B7KF23652M294594 ---- if anyone has the capability of running the vehicle history. THANKS!!:waving: :waving:
  2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

As long as everything has been maintained properly, 106k is nothing on a Cummins diesel. Hardly broken in. To me, miles don't matter at all, it is how well it has been maintained.
  3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

that is a 300K mile engine..... don't let the milage worry you unless the maintenance has been lacking. realistically for that kind of milage in an 02 it's ALL highway which is easy milage.
  4. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

There is more to a used truck than just the engine, have the whole thing inspected if you can't do it yourself.
    I want to say there are concerns about the lift pump and injector pump, the lift pump dies killing the injection pump.
    Ask about it on the dodge diesel web sites to be sure.
  5. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Sold my last Cummins with 219000 and it was still strong. My current ride is a 2000 3500 quadcab 4x4 with 181000. Don't plan on selling it anytime soon. I woudn't worry about the engine. The lift pump referred to is a transfer pump that gets fuel from the tank to the injector pump. It is a good idea to have it tested about once a year to ensure proper lift. About a $300 item if needed replaced. Not hard to do yourself, but if you are having someone test it, you might as well have them replace if needed. Check the frontend parts. Draglink and trackbars known for going bad about a $200 fix. Otherwise I wouldn't worry unless it is an automatic tranny. I don't trust those. 5sp for me please.
  6. BreyerConstruct

BreyerConstruct Senior Member

I've got a 94 Cummins with 130k, and an 01 with 205k... no plans to sell either. :p