1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Help with 1st commercial plowing bid

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GesnerLawn, Jan 16, 2003.

1. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

Hi guys. I normally do only residential plowing and only paved driveways. I have an opportunity to bid on a small processed stone parking lot. Frankly, I'd normally turn it down, but they're looking for someone to do the landscape maintenance work as well.

Here's the particulars:

Two 60 X 10 paved drives = 1,200 sq ft pavement
    80 X 60 parking lot = 4,800 sq ft stone lot
    6,000 sq foot total

NOT responsible for replacing stone in the spring

Trigger will be 1 to 2 inches at my discretion

No walks, sanding or salting

I was thinking somewhere in the range of $60 to $75 per push, up to 6 inches.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Darryl

P.S. - Here's a photo of the lot

osplowbid01.jpg

2. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

Here's a photo of one of the two drives to the lot.

osplowbid02.jpg

3. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

I'll be the first to say that plowing on gravel sux. And you better have some kind of waiver of responsibility of sidewalks and de-icing.I'd make it an least $100 per push. Don't sell yourself short just to get work.

4. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

I agree about plowing gravel. I dropped all my gravel accounts going in to last year and have turned down a few this year. Around here, they're rarely frozen (I'm on the shore) and even when they are they're really rough on the plow & truck.

This account understands that the gravel will move, and will pay for me to rake it back in the spring. In fact, most of it is already in one corner of the lot.

I should mention that I'll be working for the tennant, not the owner.

On the plus side, it's next to a Dunkin Donuts!!!!!:drinkup:

5. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I agree plowing on gravel sucks. It will also be harder on your equipment and will take longer then a paved lot would. Based on your pictures and dementions, I would do for around a $100 as well. Also it will be hard to scrape it right to the gravel, therefor I would make the trigger 2''+. You will probably need to use your plow shoes, or look into getting a U edge.

6. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

Thanks for the input guys. I didn't think it was worth more than $75, but two votes at $100 has me wondering.

Fordman - I bought a pair of shoes (plow didn't come with them) and used them once on my own gravel driveway. All they did was dig ruts, so I painted them and brought them back. I'm not new to plowing gravel. I have a 500 foot long drive with 3/4 inch processed traprock and used to plow a 1/3 mile long gravel drive. I usually just raise the plow up a tad if it's not frozen and drop it if it is frozen. Depends a lot on the kind of gravel and the conditions. Pea gravel is the worst IMO. You know, the really small ornamental stuff.

A U edge would be nice, but the steel one will stay on until it's worn out.

7. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

Just wanted to let you know that I ended up passing on the bid for several reasons. It's gravel, I have no efficient means of sanding it if it needs it, I'd be working for a tennant, it's about 5 miles off my route, and they're canning their current guy for reasons that I can't agree with. Too many reasons to ignore!

Thanks again for the input.

Darryl

8. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

What were the reasons? If you don't mind posting.... :confused:

9. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

OffRoadPlow - He listed his house with someone else (it's a real estate office).

10. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

no less than 100 plus i would do a 2 inch trigger.

Gesner where in ct are you???

11. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

Mike - Old Saybrook area.

12. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

that place wouldn't be in madison it looks like a place i use to plow years ago.can't put my finger on it but it just looks so familiar to me. thats why i asked where u were from

13. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

Mike - Nope, it's in Old Saybrook. I have one mow in Madison but don't plow there. I only plow in Westbrook, Essex and Old Saybrook.

14. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

it still looks like a place i use to do.i think when i get a chance im going to look in my old files because i have pics of all my past accounts.like i said PAST accounts lol lol

15. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

Monsterplow - $250???? Seems kind of high. Please explain (not that it really matters, just curious).