1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

HELP! Wiring question

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by sabres07, Oct 9, 2008.

1. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

I am changing over my RT3 standard duty straight blade plow over to my 2005 Chevy 1/2 ton pick up. When connecting the wires to the turn signals on each side of the truck, do you connect to the turn signal bulb wiring or do you connect to what I think is the daytime running lights wiring?

I ask this because the bulbs in the day time running light lense flashes alternately with the turn signals. However, the turn signal bulbs have only two wires running to them and the DRL's have three wires. I have it hooked up now to the DRL's and when I turn the switch in the cab to truck lights, the running lights on the plow stay on (not the headlights, just the ambers).

Also, when you switch to plow lights, are the DRL's on the truck suppossed to stay on? Mine do, at this point. On my old truck (1997), when you switched to plow lights, the truck lites were out.

Last question...where should I put the bracket for the plow plug on the fron of my 2005? As it is now, I just have them hanging out of the grill.

2. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Theres a guy here named B&B and hes smart with wiring answers. .....but don't get him too "Wired Up" LOL :D

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

On the Boss's (and in your truck application) you don't tie ANY of the plow wiring into the DRL's.

You have 3 light related loose wires in the plow harness, a violet, a pink, and a yellow. The violet is your left turn. It gets connected to the light blue turn wire on the driver side of the truck. Pink wire get connected to the dark blue right turn wire on the truck. And the yellow gets connected to the brown parking light wire on the truck. Then just plug your head light connectors into the lights and factory light harness.

And yes since the plow wiring/harness has no effect on the DRL's they will be on when they should, switch in the plow light or truck light position regardless.

4. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

Thanks, BB, for your answer.

I had originally tapped into the turn signal wires and when I put everything back together, nothing worked properly. So I started on the passenger side and re-wired into the DRL's and when I went to the driver's side, I realized that I had the two wires reversed. I did, however, change it over to the DRL's on that side, too, which is where I am at now. So I guess tomorrow I will switch it back to the turn signal wires....:dizzy:

One last item....is the brown wire for the parking lights located in the same loom as the left turn signal? It looked to me that the brown wire was in the loom for the DRL's.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Could have been the incorrect wires. Has to be drk/blue= R turn...and lt blue = L turn.

Tie into it right behind the light itself. You'll see the brown there..in fact all/any parking light wires will be brown anywhere on the front of these GM's.

Since you first had some of this wiring incorrectly connected, be sure to check ALL lighting fuses in both the under hood fuse panel as well as the one inside the truck if you discover something doesn't work.

6. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

Yea....originally I had the purple and pink reversed when I wired into the turn signals. Then when I switched them around, I also wired them into the DRL's...I did that because the brown wire in the loom for the DRL's looked "more" brown than the wire in the loom for the turn signal lights. And I am tapping in right behind the lights.

I will change it around later today.